Not a German Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Not a German Shepherd

My aunt and uncle (86 and 84) had to put their sweet little 19 year old beagle (Abby) down this past weekend. I'm just sitting here thinking about how our lives change and evolve. They had just retired and setting out on adventures when they got her, camping, hunting enjoying life. She was there through it all with them in sickness and health. A loving loyal companion, just wish there was something I could do for the emptiness in their home.
dogma13 and atomic like this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
My aunt and uncle (86 and 84) had to put their sweet little 19 year old beagle (Abby) down this past weekend. I'm just sitting here thinking about how our lives change and evolve. They had just retired and setting out on adventures when they got her, camping, hunting enjoying life. She was there through it all with them in sickness and health. A loving loyal companion, just wish there was something I could do for the emptiness in their home.
So sorry for your/their loss! Maybe consider getting a senior dog from a shelter or even a senior cat? Would be a good companion to age alongside and would help fill the void!
ksotto333 likes this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 AM
Knighted Member

Sorry for their loss (and for you as well!)! I agree suggesting, once they've had a chance to process it all, that an older rescue might be great fit for them! Healing thoughts for you and them...it's a tough time....
ksotto333 likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, she was the best little dog. Seems so long ago but they brought her to my daughter's graduation party in 2002. They used to hunt rabbits together.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

They are worried about their age and what would happen to another dog or cat when they pass. We had discussed it this summer. Sometimes life isn't fun.

Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Elite Member

I am so sorry. What a long and wonderful loving life your aunt and uncle gave Abby. Maybe once the worst of the grief period subsides a little, they could become a foster for a senior. In this way, if something were to happen, the rescue would probably step in to find another foster home.

I don't know this for certain but it may be an option worth looking into.

I remember my uncle's rescue beagle, She was as sweet as they come.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Fostering might work. They love my girls but visits won't fill the emptyness in the house.

Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

If they adopt from a pound/shelter they will be giving the animal a chance at life that it may not have had otherwise. Consider the number of companion animals euthanized every year and recognize that they are providing however many years of good life for that animal that they can. So "what will happen to the animal now" if we don't give it a home vs "what will happen to the animal when we die". If they want further reassurance, could you or other family members agree to taking the new pet when these folks can no longer care for it?
ksotto333 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Crowned Member

If they are in good health, a smaller older dog may work. My inlaws found a young stray working line English Setter when they were just in their 80s. It was an over the top idiot (not trained at all) but they stuck it out and had him for 14 years. The dog brightened their lives and gave them something to talk about. They are now in their 90s and are dogless for the first time.
ksotto333 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

I would give them some time, and if you can spend a little more time with them. If they are open to it, after some time, bring one of your dogs over with you.

A senior dog from a shelter sounds great, but folks don't like the pain of losing a critter, and that is just a fact. It doesn't matter if it is 3 years or 3 weeks, when they lose the dog it will be really hard. You can never guarantee anything, but if and when they are ready, I would suggest a young adult, a pup through the puppy stage, that they can polish up the obedience on, or that you can place the dog with a trainer for so many weeks or months and then give it to them, as they may not be able to spend a lot of time training.

Of course then you have to consider the disposition of the dog if your aunt and uncle become unable to care for the dog. Maybe a cat would be better. It could seriously reduce that empty feeling of a home without a critter, and will be easy to care for, and still give the folks a reason to get up and love a creature with a distinct personality of its own.
ksotto333 likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page