• 1 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By srudenko
  • 1 Post By sebrench
  • 2 Post By GypsyGhost

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

One Year Mark

It has been one year since Forrest was put to sleep due to his sudden paralysis of his hind end. He was my first German shepherd, and I realized very quickly that I never want to own any other breed for the rest of my life. My journey with him taught me so much, but the most important lesson I learned was how much a dog can impact your life. They really are a huge blessing.

Playing fetch was Forrest's favorite thing to do. He could always be found with a ball in his mouth. In his last few weeks, playing with toys became more difficult for him. He slept hours at a time, only waking up to eat and drink. By the time I knew he was ready to go, he no longer had any interest in playing. The morning the vet was coming to the house, I managed to get him to the park to play fetch one last time. He had lots of fun, even when his back end wouldn't cooperate. On the way home, he found an abandoned football, and he would not part with it. I let him bring it home, and he immediately dropped it in his water bowl, then took a nap. It was like he knew he wouldn't have to be in pain anymore, so he put all his energy into one last game of fetch. I still have that football.

Forrest, I am glad you are no longer suffering, but we all miss you. I wish there was more I could have done, but we just ran out of time. You will always be the reason I own a German shepherd. You were so sweet, and despite all the difficulties we went through, I wouldn't take it back for anything. Thank you for loving me as only a German shepherd can.

Thank you to all of you who tried to help me with Forrest. I appreciate all the advice and well-wishes. This forum is so amazing and supportive. I won't be ready for another puppy for probably another year, but you can bet I will be posting constant pictures whenever it does happen.
Attached Images

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:37 PM
Master Member

My GSD is a first one for me too and now I can't imagine losing him. I'm sure your dog had the best life he could have with you. How old was he when he passed Very sorry for your loss.
Pytheis likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:00 AM
Knighted Member

Touching story, it's never easy saying goodbye... But like you, my first made me a lifelong devotee to GSDs, they are the greatest dogs there are! RIP Forest!
Pytheis likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 AM

That was a beautiful puppy. I'm the same, dont want any other breed besides GSD. Love those dogs.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Pytheis likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Elite Member

What a beautiful dog he was. I'm sorry for your loss.
Pytheis likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
My GSD is a first one for me too and now I can't imagine losing him. I'm sure your dog had the best life he could have with you. How old was he when he passed Very sorry for your loss.
Forrest was 8.5 months old when he died. Too young! Well, any age is too young if you ask me.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:12 AM
Knighted Member

He was deeply loved for his whole life. That is what he knew. That is what he took with him. Anniversaries like this are hard. Please take care of yourself. And know you did everything you could for him while he was here.
dogfaeries and Pytheis like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGloomy View Post
Forrest was 8.5 months old when he died. Too young! Well, any age is too young if you ask me.
8.5 months???? God that must've been tough. Whenever you're ready to have another dog I wish it a long life. ☺️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page