The Boys: Thor & Riggs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The Boys: Thor & Riggs

Yesterday, we put down Thor & Riggs in our home, together, as the same way they both entered the world.

I could spend hours going on about their life history and medical issues and tens of thousands of dollars we spent keeping them as happy as possible but I will not. I will simply give a brief over view as I think that's all I have in me. My wife was able to spend as much time as possible and watch/look at their photos after whereas, I could not as it was too difficult for me.

We picked up Thor when he was 8 weeks old. On his 1 yr birthday we sent an email to the breeder saying happy birthday to the litter. We were then informed that a dog was returned to them and if we knew anyone who wanted him, to let them know. We decided to drive out there and if he got along with Thor, we'd take him. Naturally, they got along great so at 13 months we brought Thor's brother, Riggs, home.

Poor Riggs was neglected and abused. 25 lbs under weight with matted fur. After about 1.5 years or so, he was up to weight and had a nice shiny coat. We noticed Riggs was slow to get up and down at such a young age so we got xrays done. Due to his neglect, the joints/hips didn't grow as well as they should have and he had HD on his left side. Fast forward to 2011 and he was really starting to struggle getting up/down so we took him to get a TPLO on his right knee. The Dr. said his knee was too far gone and couldn't do the TPLO and then recommended a total knee replacement.

So, down to the US I went. Got the knee replacement and everything was great for a few weeks then his knee started to buckle inwards. They attempted to stabilize the knee with a further 2 surgeries but it wasn't working and the only options were amputation or put down. We asked how long would he expected to last with his 'good' leg having HD and was told around a year. Over 6 yrs later poor Riggs finally got to the point where he was struggling on a daily basis.

Thor developed a condition where if he exercised to much, he would get dizzy/seizure; I believe he was around 5-6. MRI/CAT scan of his head, tests on cardiovascular found nothing. We just limited his play and could tell when he was getting to that point and would stop. About 4 months ago Thor was very wobbly and falling down on the smallest change of terrain and would fall on his side when shaking head. We took him for a load of tests and of course, all negative. We suspected a brain tumour as he had similar symptoms that our little Scottish terrier had who also had a tumour. Figuring he would have to be put down, we decided to go get and MRI to confirm so we would be sure. Naturally, nothing was found only that he had high blood pressure and was giving pills for that.

The past 2-3 weeks Thor would pee/poo in the house (not to be out done, Riggs was also pooing in the house) and could not go a night without losing his bladder while he slept. The vet only knew his urine was not concentrating and it would take a battery of test/trial and error to attempt to find the problem. In case you're keep track, we've never been able to determine any of his other issues no matter how many tests where done.

Last week we called the vet and said it was time. Knowing their pending doom was more painful than I can explain or care to repeat.

17 Jan 2018, our veterinarian arrived at our house and the boys where put to sleep peacefully.

Only the ppl who have had to go through this can understand the hurt, pain, anger, frustration and sorrow of putting down animals that you love so **** much.

Even though it's only been just over 24 hours since their death, I will selfishly say we will not be getting any more dogs. The wife and I have put down 2 cats and 1 dog prior to the boys and the hurt of that is no where near the pain we are going through now. As we get older, we just cannot handle this type of emotions even knowing the many years of joy we received.

Please feel free to look/watch the last couple days of my Boys life. Of course, Thor decided to have a few good last days prior to being put down to make us even feel worse.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ytDcpUt8TXL3CqUx2

• Thor & Riggs Brothers to the end. 24 May 2005 - 17 Jan 2017
  • Misha-9 yr Calico kitty, Mischief-9 yr tabby hellion (littermates)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your losses. Your boys are beautiful and no longer in pain.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:36 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I am so sorry, Jeff. I remember you and your wife and Thor and Riggs very well. How difficult to lose them both together. I know how much you loved them, and that you did everything you could for them. RIP boys. ??

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for you and your wife.
I remember you from the 'old' board.
Thank you for sharing this sad update on the boys. In time, I hope the good memories outweigh the sad ones. Thor and especially Riggs were very lucky to have had you as their people.
I can't imagine not having a dog in my life...but know how badly they break our hearts.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
So sorry for your losses. Your boys are beautiful and no longer in pain.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I am so sorry, Jeff. I remember you and your wife and Thor and Riggs very well. How difficult to lose them both together. I know how much you loved them, and that you did everything you could for them. RIP boys. ??
We may have been able to hang on to Riggs for another month or so but we decided not to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I am so sorry for you and your wife.
I remember you from the 'old' board.
Thank you for sharing this sad update on the boys. In time, I hope the good memories outweigh the sad ones. Thor and especially Riggs were very lucky to have had you as their people.
I can't imagine not having a dog in my life...but know how badly they break our hearts.
We realize the pain we are currently going through can affect future decisions but I honestly feel in my heart that we won't get another dog. Not going to lie, it's for selfish reasons to avoid this horrible experience. The Boys good memories destroy the sad ones for sure! Thor had more personality than most people I know and Riggs was so lovable.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 01:19 AM
Crowned Member

So sorry and how devastating this is for you. They did live a long life and were very much loved. There is a sweetness in this tragedy as they were able to go on together. Heal well.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:29 AM
Knighted Member

I am sorry for this loss. But when I lost my previous GSD I waited nearly 25 yrs to get another...and I can tell you now, now that I have a new pup, I am the loser in this. GSDs are the best! Your dogs were magnificent, but don't let this dictate your future. Getting a new puppy tends to eliminate issues...

All the best to you!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

My condolences on your loss. That's got to be heartbreaking!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
So sorry and how devastating this is for you. They did live a long life and were very much loved. There is a sweetness in this tragedy as they were able to go on together. Heal well.
Thanks. Things are getting slightly better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I am sorry for this loss. But when I lost my previous GSD I waited nearly 25 yrs to get another...and I can tell you now, now that I have a new pup, I am the loser in this. GSDs are the best! Your dogs were magnificent, but don't let this dictate your future. Getting a new puppy tends to eliminate issues...

All the best to you!
The boys were the best puppies ever without a doubt. So lovable and easy to train. The personality on Thor killed me...I never understood how a dog could be like this.

I was never able to comprehend how anyone could get another dog shortly after losing one .... until now. I fully understand the need to have another companion right away but this is just not for us.

If we waited 25 yrs, I'm pretty sure the dog would outlive us

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZZNSTR View Post
My condolences on your loss. That's got to be heartbreaking!
More than I care to re-live but part of being a dog owner and we'll always have the awesome memories of our times together.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

My heart goes out to you both. I am so sorry for your loss. With time I hope the beautiful memories you shared with Thor and Riggs will help heal your hearts. Rest in peace sweet boys and run like the wind together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page