Taken too soon. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Taken too soon.

As I sit here wanting a way to sort of vent, I just don't know where to begin. On June 14th of 2016 my 12 1/2 year old GSD Nitro passed away. He was the light of my life for so long I didn't know how I was going to move past his loss. Fast forward 1 month to July 2016 and we meet Rogue she was a happy, bouncy GSD puppy. More importantly she would be what helped me get past Nitro's loss.

At the end of December 2017 I noticed Rogue's hip bones were sticking out, my family members brushed my worries away by telling me it was her coat not her hips. I still didn't feel right about it, I was worried we were dealing with hip issues because she constantly jumped on beds and couches. 2 days pass and she was just as energetic and playful as she ever was but now in the morning she makes these throat clearing noises and toward the end of the day she's breathing kind of heavy and at midnight she's crying while breathing. We take her to the ER that night and they tell us they think it is lymphoma and when they weigh her she's lost roughly 8 pounds, my thoughts are they are simply over reacting she's just sick, she's 22 months old! They give us some antibiotics and we plan to see our vet when they open on Tuesday.

Our vet isn't one to jump to the worse case scenario. But things aren't looking so good. That morning she stopped walking, she had lost another 2 pounds, and we aren't as hopeful as we had been. Our vet agrees he thinks it might be lymphoma, but he thinks leukemia is more likely than lymphoma.

We found out the next day Rogue's blood tests came back as leukemia, the results looked odd to our vet so he talked with another vet and they said they believed it was in her bone marrow and that further tests would likely show this. On January 5 Rogue left us.

With Nitro I was prepared he was old, had arthritis, and had led a good life. Rogue was still our work in progress, we were still training her and enjoying her growing into the dog we knew she would become. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that she is gone and it doesn't seem quite real to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:00 PM

I'm so sorry about your loss.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:06 PM
Elite Member

That is heartbreaking. I am so sorry for your loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:09 PM

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. I've lost my fair share of dogs over the years but never that young. My heart is broken for you! Please stick around here and communicate. It's difficult to lose a dog, but almost all of us have and we understand and are here for you!

Torden
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 PM
Master Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. Loosing a young dog is so hard.

Definitely notify her breeder about what happened if you haven't already.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Elite Member

I am so sorry There are just no words for things like this. You must be so heartbroken, very sorry this happened to you.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. Loosing a young dog is so hard.

Definitely notify her breeder about what happened if you haven't already.
I wasn't sure this had to do with breeding. I've read a lot online since and what I read said it is genetic but not hereditary... I found some articles that suggested getting them spayed too soon increases their chance for bone cancers and we had her spayed at 4 1/2 months because we were "supposed" to. I'm not sure if this is considered for that since it is leukemia but in her bone marrow? I just want answers where there are none.

I don't know who her breeders are since I bought her from her original owner at 4 months old. I have kept up with him a bit emailing him photos of her on her first birthday but I haven't had the heart to email him and tell him she passed. He was going through a divorce and couldn't give her the attention she needed since he was working more long hours than he had in the past. I could always ask him I guess.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

I'm so sorry for your loss!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:22 AM
Crowned Member

I am so so so sorry....they are never with us long enough - but I certainly understand feeling cheated at losing one so very young! Even at 14, it was too soon for me......

We all read the statistics about early spays, and so many are done so early - it is very hard to actually hear of it happening....

<<<<hugs>>>>>

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 AM
Crowned Member

If questioning the decision to spay helps you to make a different decision on that in the future, then that's ok, but then let it go. You do not know that the early spay caused this issue. Maybe the cells were there, and the early spay knocked her out of balance and let them get the upper hand. Maybe the onset was younger that it would have been. Maybe... There are a lot of maybes and that way lies insanity, really.

We do not know that the cancer is even one that is linked to early spay/neuter. I haven't heard of leukemia/lymophoma in GSDs. But maybe they just call it different stuff.

The thing is, we can, all of us, beat ourselves up about the choices we made for our critters, and play the blame, built, shame game. We can't always know what is the right thing to do.

You have to hang onto the fact that you gave her a good life, and did everything possible to help her, fix her, not let her suffer.

I am very sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself. And let yourself love more dogs when you are ready.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page