I miss you Storm - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I miss you Storm

Hello. I'm Rob and I joined today because I am researching ways to deal with grief after losing our dog, Storm who had just turn 10 this month.

She bloated on Christmas Eve and we were able to get her to the hospital for surgery. She came home the day after Christmas, got to lay on her new bed some more (I had let her open a Christmas present early). On the day after Christmas, she was only home for a few hours really and started to decline fast. We still don't know what happened. Her prognosis was good from the surgery.

(The only thing they found, and she still had when we brought her home that day, was a really elevated white blood cell count. The ER docs told us a high white cell count would be about 17,000 but Storm's was around 55,000. They didn't know why it was that high but were waiting for test results which would be back in a few days.)

That evening, as I said, she started to decline. We couldn't get her to eat (and the docs never did either) so this was the third day with no food, just fluids.

Storm began panting heavily ... and all of the following ... this all happened SO fast.

She needed to "hurry" (go outside to pee) and when she went out she just laid down in the snow. She didn't want to get up. But we prompted her, helped her up and got her back in the house. After that little bit of exercise, she just seemed exhausted, deflated, not all there. Her head was sagging, tongue lolling and she kept laying over with her head on the floor, then forcing herself back up to a normal laying position.

We called the ER docs who told us we could bring her in if we wanted but she was likely just really tired from all the stress of the last few days.

(Let me say here that this was our first experience with these folks - it was not our regular vet. I never had a great feeling about them. Something just seemed off. I don't know why.)

Anyway, we ended up having to put Storm on a blanket and carry her to our van because the first time in her life, when asked if she wanted to go for a ride, she didn't get up to run to the door.

It's about a 1/2 hour drive to our emergency clinic. She only made it about 10 minutes into the drive, then just lay down and stopped breathing.

My wife and I said goodbye to her in a stupid bank parking lot where we had pulled over when we realized she wasn't going to make it. I feel so guilty. So angry at myself; like I should have done something better, noticed ... something ... that would have protected her, even saved her. She went through all that surgery, spending all that time with those strangers, wondering where her family was, for nothing.

She was such a good dog. She changed our lives. I love her so much and miss her so deeply. Nothing has ever hurt like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160309_21_42_25_Pro (2).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	469354  
RZZNSTR and Arathorn II like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:16 PM

Rob, I'm so sorry this happened, your Storm looked like such a sweet girl.
I have never had a dog experience bloat, although I was careful for many
years not to let my dogs drink much water at one time. This sounds like
such a quick and horrible thing for you all to have to go through, especially
during the holidays (never a good time to have to experience this though).

Guilt, it's only redeeming quality, in my opinion, is to help us learn from
the experience. But in this instance, you did everything you could, I think.
Some people wouldn't even have done surgery, I suppose. You tried
everything and it was just out of your hands. I feel so bad that you have
lost a precious soul who obviously had a profound effect in your lives.
Thank her for that. I know the grief is overwhelming, I still suffer even
after 4 months, I'm waiting for it to get better. It is, but so very slowly.

I hope someone will be able to help you with what you need now. You
are definitely in my thoughts

RIP Storm, you were a valuable friend, companion and special sweet girl.
car2ner and robhortn like this.

The Lovely Wiena 4/14/2005 - 9/6/2017
You are my Heart Dog and I miss you so much
we'll do High 5's when next we meet
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 PM

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I wish there were something I could say to make it easier, but I know from experience that there is nothing to erase that pain.

I know that Storm will always have a special place in your heart and it sounds like she was a lucky dog to have had you in her life.
robhortn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

Wow......that's wicked tough.....and of course I'm sorry to hear of your hardship.

It always gets to me when I hear these experiences but I don't know that I can add anything to help you with your feelings of guilt. "Woulda, coulda and shouldas" have their place in our lives at times.....but I don't believe this is one of them....seems like you did your level best.

The "hurt" is commensurate with the love you had for Storm......I'm glad you shared the 10 years....no better place for Storm to have been.

Take care,

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

I am so very sorry. The circumstances surrounding sweet Storms passing is so very hard to grasp. He looks like a gentle being fulfilled from a loving home and a good life. You gave him that "look" with your whole heart. Never forget you did your best for him. He will never forget that his family was the best ever and that is all that matters to him. This is why they are so special and why we grieve so hard.

RIP Storm

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

She sounds like a truly special dog. I am so sorry for your loss.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss of storm

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

Truly sorry for your loss!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:50 AM

Sorry for your loss

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:55 AM

First, take it easy on yourself. Second guessing is completely natural. The crazy idea that if you did something different you could have her back is completely normal. Not wanting to admit that there is nothing you can do now to change it, is totally all right for awhile. After some time you will admit to yourself, with difficulty, that life is what it is and nothing can be done to change what happened. Who knows what else is going on beside the bloat. My past two dogs, in hind sight, I could see them struggling through a decline in health. Both were old gals when they slowed way down. When the end came it was sudden, like a slow walk to a cliff and then that sudden drop. But missing my dogs didn't make the end much easier. I was just glad it wasn't a long slow death. I've seen someone else go through that. I don't think I could have bared it.

keep tissues handy when you think back over all the wonderful memories.
cheffjapman likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page