Goodbye My Boy Finn - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Goodbye My Boy Finn

This morning I said goodbye to my loving and loyal boy Finn. In my head I know he is gone, but my heart can not accept it yet and I keep waiting for him to come push up against me wanting to go out or race to the door.

I first knew something wasn't right Saturday morning when he got up and was wobbly on his back feet and I could his nails drag over the floor. I called my Vet and took him in. He examined him and could not find anything wrong and Finn was acting normal and his gait improved, though wasn't totally normal. He thought maybe he had tweaked something or possibly a UTI since on Friday he had peed 2x in the house, which wasn't normal. We started him on Amoxi and Quellin. Monday he seemed better, just a little off in the hind end, but still wanted to go for walks and chase his ball, and pester his sister. I was tried to get a Urine sample for the vet and managed to catch one drop which was bloody. Called my Vet again and he stopped by and examined Finn again and could not feel anything off or get any sort of pain response. We assumed it was a UTI, he wasn't eating with his usual gusto and I could tell he wasn't feeling great. Tuesday I realized he was not urinating. My Vet stopped again and examined Finn. Again no pain response during his examine, but his appetite had dropped off a lot, and eh has always been a good eater. Assuming he had a stone we decided to get X-rays done and catheterize him Wednesday. I took him in early that morning since they would need to sedate him. He was not his vibrant energetic self, but still alert and wanting to play with his ball when I brought it out that morning before we left. My Vet called Wednesday afternoon. X-rays showed nothing and upon catheterizing him they had gotten no urine at all. They did bloodwork and his kidney levels were so high they could not be read. They started him on fluids and a diuretic. I went in to see him that evening. I could tell he was doing well, but still gave one of the Vet's working on him the stink eye when she came over. I called this morning to see how he was doing and he still hadn't peed despite getting I think 4 bags of fluids.

I went and picked him up this morning to bring him home. His ears perked right up as he was walked out to me. To look at him you would not have guessed that was in as bad a shape as he was. I brought him home and let him sniff around outside one last time and threw his ball for him to chased. Little stinker still didn't want to out when I asked, he never has, and wagged his tail like he always did when he was being a brat about it. I took him inside and into the living room. He came up to me after I sat down and dropped his head between my legs for pets like always. After a few minutes he laid down and my family gave him goodbye pets and kisses. He didn't give a hoot about most strangers, but he loved his family so much. My Vet came a few minutes later and Finn popped and barked at him like he did anyone who came into his home. I settled him and got him to lay back down. He went quickly, just popping up into a sit then sliding back down onto his side after the injection. I wanted to believe he was just laying there sleeping and would hop up the moment I moved.

I can't believe he is gone. The house doesn't feel right with out him in it, and I keep looking over at the spots he use to lay expecting to see his head pop up, eyes bright and ears up ready to go. I feel like we had only just started on our journey together and now it is over far too soon. He was 2 years and almost 4 months old and my best friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My boy Finn
Attached Images

RZZNSTR likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:01 PM
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy.
Bramble likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy. RIP little one, run free!
Bramble likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Oh I'm so sorry he was a handsome boy and so young also?? Sometimes life is just not fair, take care.
Bramble likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 PM

So sorry for your loss.R.I.P. Finn.
Bramble likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 04:19 PM

how awful for you, such a short time to have him.

I am crying as I tell my husband about this. Finn
looks like an awesome fine boy. I pray for strength
and comfort for you as you go this time of grief.
It's a difficult time.
Bramble and Arathorn II like this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 04:29 PM

Sorry for your loss. Praying God's comfort for you
Bramble likes this.

Maverick 04/09/03 to 09/30/14

Ranger 02/06/17 -
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 05:04 PM
Elite Member

I am so very sorry, and crying with you, for your great loss. My deepest, heartfelt sympathies to you and your family.
Bramble likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry Bramble.
Bramble likes this.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page