Memorials - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Memorials

We all lose dogs we love. I'd love to know what others do to remember them by. One of my first dogs when I started showing was a heart dog. He was my shadow. At a show he had to be in a locked crate if I wasn't there. At Kalamazoo I heard the dreaded 'loose dog!' only to turn around and see Young Man zooming through the crowd, nose to the ground, and up onto my lap. He had been in a covered expen with my ex. He was a Houdini. When he died I called his breeder to let her know. She knew how close we were and I was devastated when she asked me to have him cremated and send her his ashes. Because she asked, I did it, but now I felt like I had lost him twice. A couple of months later a friend called me to ask if I'd be at a certain show, that she had something for me. When I got there she told me it was from Young Man's breeder, it had been made for me by her and then had been going from show to show with people to be transported to me. She had his ashes put into a garden stepping stone and used a picture of him put on it in stained glass. Since Papillon is French for Butterfly I have it in a Butterfly Garden in my yard. It's the best memorial I could have ever dreamed of and means the world to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:37 PM
Banned

Aww, wow that is freaking awesome! It sounds like above and beyond to get your baby back to you again. You know some pretty amazing people it seems.

All my boys and girls are on a bookshelf in the living room.
charger and Deb like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

I have been truly blessed with so many of my friends. Young Man's stepping stone is something I'd never seen before. I have it in the garden semi erect so it is easy to see. I was weeding in the garden today and it made me wonder what other ways have people remembered their beloved pets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Crowned Member

Such a sweet story I really like the stepping stone idea. Our pets our buried are buried in our backyard in the garden with a bird bath and there was a bench that needs to be replaced. I really like the stepping stone idea. I do worry if we ever have to move I would hate to leave them behind.
Deb likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

I had G's paw scanned - think they do from an ink stamp (which I also purchased but wasn't truly happy with) to later use for a tattoo. The print is then used/scanned and etched onto a charm. So this is his actual print. It took nearly 6 weeks to get, I ran out next day and bought the chain. I have had it on ever since. I have had many compliments on it, then I get the big AWWW when I tell them it is custom and why. Gator is engraved on the back.
Attached Images

Deb and Traveler's Mom like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Better pic of the charm w/o my chicken neck lol (I also had him cremated and returned, a clay imprint done as well, the ink stamp as mentioned)
Attached Images

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 11-10-2016 at 11:02 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

That's an awesome idea! Can you share where you had this done?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
That's an awesome idea! Can you share where you had this done?
It was done through the company that takes care of the cremation used by the vet.
Deb likes this.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

I have a dogwood tree on whose roots we have put the ashes of two dogs now. At the base of the tree each have an engraved river stone

One of those dogs' ashes we also scattered all over the mountain (and some on the tree), because he was a wild man at heart. He would want to be free in the forest. The other one was a sensitive little girl who would be afraid of the dark out there in the woods alone (I know this is my projection but whatever) we put all of her ashes on the tree which is also her favoritr spot in the yard, so she is near us...seemed like the right place for her.

The cremation company sent back a clay paw impression, some hair, and a candle, which I have on a shelf trying not to be too morbid
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Deb
Knighted Member

Sometimes living rural isn't so good. The only place around here to cremate is the local pound. Needless to say, they don't offer anything except your receipt for paying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page