RIP Bull 1999 - 2016 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

RIP Bull 1999 - 2016

I wrote up Bull's story in this thread a few months ago when we knew the end was coming.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ky-13-a-2.html

He bounced back after the incident that spurred that post.

All dogs are special in their own way, but this dog was one of those extra special ones. He was the dog no one wanted - in a no kill shelter for over 2 years adopted and returned 4 times. He was the untrainable dog. Flunked out of the shelter's prison program and I had trainers refund my purchase even after weeks of lessons. He never did learn to sit. He was the dog that didn't want anything to do with humans. It literally took years for him to solicit affection from me.

And yet he was probably one of the best dogs I ever had. Smart. Loyal. Protective. Gentle. Empathetic. Incredibly well behaved for a completely untrained dog. The most maternal male dog I've ever known. I'm not sure how I will raise another pup without him.

He passed away this morning around 9:00 am.

I actually had an appointment for the vet to come today at 2 to have him put down in home. Around 8:15 this morning I carried him outside. He was alert just very weak. He loved being outside and was actually an outside dog for many years by choice. I figured it would be his last chance to feel the sun, and breeze and enjoy all the sniffs. I wanted to let him have some time out before it got too hot.

I went back inside after a while and left him to enjoy his nap. I went out to bring him in around 9 - and he was gone. He must have just passed too, he was still very warm.

He ways laying on his stomach, back legs under him. Front paws crossed in a dignified manner. Head on the ground. The same way he has napped and laid down pretty much everyday for the last 13 years. His eyes were closed. You could have mistaken him for being asleep.

I sat with him for a while. Scratching his ear the way he liked until it started to get cold. Then I brought Mako out to say his goodbye. Mako started kicking Bull's face and pawing at him. Mako's been off his feed all week since Bull's health declined. He's also been very clingy to the old man. The next few days are going to be rough. Mako has slept cuddled with Bull every day since he was a 5lb pup.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. Kinda numb at the moment. I think I might start to feel a bit guilty that I wasn't with him at the moment it happened. But I think I'm also happy that he went on his own, no hated vet present, no emotional people around trying to keep it together, and outside with the sun on his back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

Sooo sorry to hear of your loss. He had a long and happy life with you and in return you met your heart dog. You could not ask for a more peaceful passing. Sometimes they hang on just long enough until you turn your back for a minute to let go. Don't feel guilty. You could not have done more. May you find peace.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:33 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss.
I hope you can find solace knowing that he passed peacefully, in the place he loved. I truly do believe that is a tremendous thing.
Sending peace and comfort your way.

L.C.
Knowledge is power.

IG: @teslatheadventuredog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:36 AM

I can't imagine a more perfect way to cross over.So peaceful.May you and Mako comfort each other.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

I'm so sad for you, but also happy you had a long, rewarding time together. I lost a dog like that who was challenging, who brought out both the best and the worst in me. Those are the dogs we miss the most.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Elite Member

I do think Bull passed away with dignity and beauty. I believe I understand your feelings. When Wolf died, I sat at the kitchen table unthinking/unfeeling-until a friend recognized I was in shock. Sometimes it is just too much to accept.

You have my sincere condolences,

Mary Jane
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

I'm so sorry for your loss, that's a long time to have a buddy. But regardless of how long they are with us ... it's never long enough. But you did good you were a great care taker, he was happy and you did good by him ... take care.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Elite Member

So sorry for your loss of your beloved Bull.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 12:18 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'm so sorry for your and Mako's loss. Bull was lucky to have had you.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 12:31 PM

I'm very sorry for your loss of Bull. It's just never long enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page