It's the same thing, but very different this time. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

It's the same thing, but very different this time.

HSA took Rookie last week. Just 7 years old. Same. ****. Thing that happened to Eich 8 years ago at practically the same. ****. Age. I really despise this disease.

With Eich I opted for surgery in the hope that it wasn't cancer. I dreaded the test results only to be let down and left to dread the final outcome. Even though we shared some really good days, it was the worst 6 weeks of my life. I watched and waited. The anxiety was awful and I never really forgave myself for putting us both through it.

Rookie had a typical summer day last Friday. We had some friends over and he took turns harassing them with his toys. They showered him with attention. He ran, swam, and flew (I helicoptered him with his tetherball, pictured below). This went on all day. Later in the evening he looked like he was going to vomit, but then defecated and urinated at the same time. I knew something had gone horribly wrong.

The xray revealed a colossal mass attached to his spleen and taking up nearly a third of his abdomen, displacing his colon and bladder. The tumor apparently breached the organ and was swelling with blood rapidly. He was weak and uncomfortable. Neither the spleen nor the tumor had ruptured. Yet. But I'd been down that road before and wasn't going down it again. HSA was not going to win. The decision was agonizing and the next hour (for my wife to get there and to carry out the procedure) was horrible.

But you know what? I am completely at peace with it. Rookie went out on top and I have absolutely not one iota of regret. He died in my arms, and I whispered "Thank you" to him as he slipped away. Sure, I'm deeply saddened and it took me until last night to put his toys away, but there isn't one thing I'd have done differently. I wish I could have said that with Eich.

Thanks again, Rookie. You were one in a million.

Cary
NY - 10509

Eich 3/4/01 - 9/30/08 (HSA)
Rookie 4/16/09 - 7/8/16 (HSA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:15 AM
Elite Member

I am SO sorry. What a heartbreak. But how wonderful that he had you who loved him and watched out for him until the end! I believe we will see our dogs again. My sympathies
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

So sorry for your terrible loss of Rookie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Crowned Member

So handsome! I'm glad you enjoyed his last moments together. RIP Rookie.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:32 AM

I am so so sorry. What a beautiful boy!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Elite Member

So sorry for the loss of your beautiful boy. RIP Rookie.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 02:03 PM

It was the perfect day. Rookie was gloriously happy and in a short time, he was in complete peace - no pain or suffering. You made the best call for your sweet boy. Rest in peace, Rookie. <3
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 04:51 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss Such a horrible disease.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry. He was beautiful and I can tell how much you loved him.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

My sincere condolences for loss of Rookie. I too lost my guy a little over 4 months ago. 7 cm mass on the spleen. I still cry. I want to do a memorial thread for him, but I am still having trouble with his passing.
He was PTS 1 week to the day of dx. (at home, outside on the deck) The min. I knew his dx. I called work and told them I would not be in the next day, or the day after, or day after that etc... I cancelled 5 shifts so he wouldn't be alone. So he wouldn't die alone. I estimate in that week, we spent maybe 2-3 hrs apart, only b/c I had to run to get some needs for him. Still Can't believe he's he gone. He was 11.5

RIP Rookie, you were too young little baby

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page