My handsome prince - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My handsome prince

Bud was never supposed to be mine. He was supposed to die. He suffered more then any dog should to walk a path that brought him to me, baggage and all.
Through our entire relationship he was a rock, eternal and never changing. Not a good pet, never that, but a great dog. He never learned to be nice, saw no reason to. But the same dog that would take on all comers would bury his face in my shirt during storms, or fireworks.
The first night he was with me he jumped six feet onto the roof of my garage from the raised dog run and proceeded to take a stand from 15 feet above the driveway. While various people deterred a jump I climbed up with him, stood my ground against several lunges and talked him down.
The day he slipped his collar I grabbed him and sustained a few good bites, deflected from my face, to get a leash around his neck and get him back home.
Our relationship started out with me repeatedly walking into his own little **** to bring him back out. Over the years we forged an unbreakable bond that was tested time and again.
Heir to the throne, he was the male his breeder had been hoping for. Sadly the title would never pass. He proved to unstable for work, and since no one could say if it was a genetic issue or the result of abuse he was washed out. Coupled with him being somewhat over size, the plan to breed him was a no go. Before it could ever be revisited, his breeder passed away.
I had debated that in more skilled hands he may go further, he had other plans. No one else could handle him. He would come up the leash at any challenge or misstep, he put a couple of trainers on tables and muzzled he simply used his massive head as a battering ram and took people down anyway.
Fences were a joke to him. A standard 6' fence barely made him break stride, so I kept him on a running line when my eyeballs weren't fixed on him. He didn't give a crap about other dogs, but would not walk away from a fight. His obedience was stellar, as long as I held the leash, and he could track anything. But what he really loved to do was patrol fence lines. He would relentlessly check his borders and allowed no intruders to enter. And Sabi was his life. He would bring her food, and toys, wash her face, show off for her and wait, because she was always slower.
He was a disaster in the house. He marked on everything, drooled everywhere and shredded toys, blankets, pillows and mattresses. He flung water dishes, knocked over plants and tables and counter surfed. So he was crated. I wanted him with me at night, but to him that meant he should sit beside me and stare at me all night. Creepy.
For all his issues he was my boy. And now I have added yet another box to my collection. The house is becoming a morbid shrine of old collars and cedar boxes with shiny nameplates.
My only comfort in this is that he is now with his beloved Sabi.
Be good Bud. Momma loves you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 02:22 PM

That was touching, brought tears to my eyes. I had a dog similar but she was a Chinese Crested and her cedar box sits on my dresser. I am sorry for your loss.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Crowned Member

What a wonderful tribute.....especially how you took the difficult times as they were and never looked back or gave up on Bud....

I'm respectful of you saving Bud and giving him such a great life....

So sad to say goodbye....

SuperG
Bridget01 likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 04:30 PM
Knighted Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
Sheilah
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 04:41 PM

I am so sorry for your loss
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Knighted Member

I'm sorry the time arrived for you to say goodbye to your boy. hugs..

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Crowned Member

That was really nicely written. I am sorry for your loss.

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your loss.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM

He sounded like the biggest challenge, but I'm sorry you had to lose him :'(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page