Our Amazing Journey with Duke SHOULD NOT Be Over - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Our Amazing Journey with Duke SHOULD NOT Be Over

Today has been one week since we lost our wonderful boy of 8yrs. The pain is Still so unbearable. We have came to the site several times wanting to post our loss but couldn't because it just felt like when this is done its real and just trying to hold on to what's left.
Duke at 8 1/2 year old was so active, healthy, and non stop. We took him to his vet of 8 years for a very minor skin irritation actually had healed but just for precautions wanted to make sure.
We took him in on tuesday and she checked him out and agreed it was ok just wanted to give him some medication for allergies along with his bravecto and heart guard.
We arrived home and he ate gave him his meds and bravecto like the vet said to do. She said there were no interactions and would be fine.
On Wednesday we noticed he was really lazy and just passed it off as not being use to the medications.
By Thursday morning he could not stand up called the vet asked about the meds they said NO WAY IT COULD BE THE MEDICATIONS.
Knowing it could we called another vet they said bring him in. He found that Duke was so severely anemic he was 4 points from a blood transfusion. He stayed over night for IV and testing. Friday morning I called as soon as they opened and the vet called back within 10 mins and told us our baby boy had passed from liver failure due to the medication mixture moments before he called.
Basically our baby died of an overdose combined with bravecto, heart guard, and 3 other medications.
His vet of 8 years still says no way it could have. But we know it was.
The second vet had done X Rays, needle aspiration, major blood panels and there were no tumors no internal bleeding nothing. He said his heart, lungs, and all was in great condition.
It hurts so bad knowing he would have still been here had we just not took him.
Our baby was perfectly fine running, playing, and then 61 hours later he was gone. The guilt and pain we feel is so unbearable.
Duke was not a dog he was family. So loyal, proud, always knew where everyone was at all times, he was our protector for 8 years never failing us a day in his life. We failed to protect him. We never got to say good bye or look Into those big Brown eyes that told us everything we needed to know. We are so numb and lost with out him. The day he left us is the day we realized what unconditional love truely was. We will forever hold you in our hearts baby boy.

Shawn & Stacey

Duke~8 1/2 GSD~ 2007~2016 Always Near
Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Until We Meet Again Our Friend
Duke 10/01/2007 ~ 03/18/2016
Our Amazing Journey with Duke SHOULD NOT Be Over-15-63_2_1_1.jpg

Shawn & Stacey

Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I think you should report this to your state's vet board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you it hurts more than we ever realized. Yes that will be done after we find our way back. After we came home from picking him up Friday I called and told them we were burying our baby. No one ever called us to say they were sorry. However the 2nd vet did call us on Monday letting us know they had called him multiple times wanting Dukes records which he said they would not get. Then 5 days after he was gone she called not sympathetic in no way basically wanted to let us know she had contacted him but he wouldn't release his records to them. They didn't even call and ask us if they could get his records. They will never get them. We told them all we wanted was for them to acknowledge this is what took him from us. She Still says NO WAY!

Shawn & Stacey

Molly~ 3 GSD

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Elite Member

I feel so bad for you.

Lynn & Traveler
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry....I am sitting here with tears in my eyes.....I just can't imagine this kind of stupidity on a vets part - actually I can....I spent 4 years at vet school putting my ex through and worked for years in hospitals....there is just so much blind trust in that DVM/VMD after someone's name.....I fight and argue and even dictate with puppy people who want to give all kinds of vaccines and meds...

I know it is no consolation - but again, I am so so so sorry...

<<<hugs>>>>

Lee

Run Free Duke ~ you left way too soon and are deeply missed....

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

That is terrible I am sorry for your loss. RIP Duke

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:31 PM

So very sorry for your loss.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 06:37 PM

Oh no I am so sorry to hear. What a terrible loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page