Maggie - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Maggie

I haven't been on this site long, and only found it when I was searching for some information on senior German Shepherds. Reading through all the topics and info is almost overwhelming, but it was obvious how knowledgeable and caring the members here are. Although I haven't posted much, the thoughts and messages I received regarding my questions were helpful.
The last posts I made here were regarding my girl, Maggie. She was "only" 15 when I found this site and was losing strength in her back end and having some bowel incontinence issues. I realized she was an old girl, and wasn't so much looking for solutions to her problems, but ways to help her be comfortable and maybe slow down the progression. She turned 16 in December and was still doing about the same. Through all of her aging over the last year and a half, the biggest question I had was how would I know when it was time to say goodbye. Most people I know had to put their dog down due to a terminal illness. The decision was all but made for them. Maggie, on the other hand, was healthy, but getting old. The inevitable decision seemed impossible to me. Yes, she was slowing down and slipping on the floors, but when was it going to be too much for her? I promised her I would clean up the accidents and take care of her in any way she needed, for as long as she was happy and still wanted to be here. Our routine, since the day we got her, was to go for a walk, or in the yard, first thing in the morning and come in to a Mikbone before breakfast. Even as her appetite lessened over the last several months, the Milkbones were always eaten. The second week in January I noticed she had left the cookies for a couple days in a row. That's when I knew we were getting close. After a week, I spoke with the vet and had to come to terms with the fact that we were very close to the end. I could now see that even in the last week or two, Maggie had lost a considerable amount of weight, lost most of her appetite (even for the treats) and just seemed tired. So, after taking a couple days to process everything, our decision was made. By Wednesday we realized it was her time, and made the decision to put her to sleep. I tried to schedule it for that Friday, but because of the vet's schedule decided to wait until Monday. Friday night was rough. She was having a hard time walking and even trying to lay down. I started to feel worse (if that was possible) - like I was forcing her to keep going for a few days when she was already trying to tell me she was ready. But, Saturday, Sunday and Monday morning were different. I'm not sure why or how, but she only had one accident in the house all weekend (usually a couple a day), she was more steady on her feet and she seemed generally happy. After my initial conversation with the vet on Monday, the dog food pretty much got put to the side, and Maggie was eating whatever she liked. That didn't change over the weekend. We had waffles and eggs for breakfast, shared bacon cheesburgers and steak tips for dinner and had plenty of Carrots (her favorite) for snacks. My only goal for the weekend was to enjoy the time we had left together. Besides the feasts, we got in a nice last walk, spent a lot of time laying together on the floor and enjoyed the company of some of her favorite people who came to visit. Knowing what was going to happen for a week also gave us the opportunity to think of some things we wouldn't have been able to do if she needed to be put down immediately. One of those things was getting a paw impression as a keepsake. My wife called a local pottery shop and they were all too happy to help us out. They gave us a couple pieces of clay, and after our initial attempts, we were able to get a great impression (photo below). On Monday morning I couldn't make the time go by slow enough. We shared a plate of scrambled eggs for breakfast and then headed to the vet. Initially, I wanted to have her euthanized at home, so she would be as relaxed and comfortable as possible, and I didn't want my kids (11 and 8) to be there. Of course things rarely work out how you would like, and we had to go to the vets' office with both of my girls. And, in the end, I couldn't have been happier with how it all worked out. Maggie was completely comfortable, my girls got to say their goodbyes and the vet who took care of Maggie for the 13 1/2 years we had her, and cared deeply for her, was the one to help us through the process.

I've never dealt with anything as difficult as this. Maggie was our first baby, my best friend and the most loyal companion I could have ever asked for. She was one of the special ones and will always be missed. It has been a month, but I still expect to see her when I wake up or get home from work, and have to remind myself when I am out that I don't have to run home and let the dog out. But, I wouldn't trade the time we spent together for anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7075.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	352066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7096.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	352074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7099.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	352082   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7098.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	352090   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	352098  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Crowned Member

Jay it is the worst and hardest decision to make as a dog parent. Maggie was beautiful and obviously loved and loving. I am so happy you had such a great week to say goodbye. I believe hen they can't watch over us here because their bodies are not up to it they move on to where they watch and are young and strong again but still wise and watchful.Take care.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Knighted Member

Thanks for sharing your story about Maggie. What a beautiful and well loved GSD! How nice you had the strength and composure to just enjoy her for the last few days. I'm sorry that your house is feeling so empty now. That part I could not handle when our 1st one died.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Maggie sounds wonderful. They are so amazing. I noticed my boy Harley who is almost 9, starting to limp alittle, having harder time getting up. It is hard to watch them age. Please take care and know Maggie is still with you everywhere you go.....

Jake GSD 5/2012

Harley GSD 5/14/07-5/12/16

I would rather spend time with my GSD than alot of people!!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Master Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds so much like our experience with Maddie. It is so hard to lose an old friend but the journey is worth it.

Run free Maggie. You have earned it.

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

What a beautiful keepsake, and a beautiful girl. You are so lucky to have had her to 16 yrs.

RIP beautiful Maggie

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

How wonderful a life Maggie had and how lucky to be so loved....I only hope my 12.5 year old can be happy as long!

Run free Maggie ~

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:07 PM

What a beautiful tribute to Maggie.RIP sweet girl.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss. You were blessed to have her that long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page