Allie - so many questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Allie - so many questions

I lost my German Shepherd, Allie, today, 2/7/16. (Allie came to me on 12/27/05 at age 7 months as a breeder reject.) Allie was quite ill most of her life. My gratitude to all of you on this board is something I can never repay as you helped me for years and years. I am now turning to you again, as I am overwhelmed with grief and doubt.

She has had numerous threads, including: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ical-vet.html; https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...in-allie.html;
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...iagnosis.html; https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...783-mrsa.html; https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-too-slow.html

She was finally diagnosed with autoimmune polyarthritis, non erosive, in January 2014. Allie managed to do well with some serious set backs. Unfortunately the only medication she reacted to was prednisone and metronidazole. Unfortunately, I think it was the medication that killed her.

Allie went from 85 pounds to 67 pounds, The Pred took a terrible toll on her muscle mass. We tried several other medications but always had to come back to the metronidazole to control her bowels and infection in her colon.

Over the past few months, my vet has strongly suggested it was time to “let her go”, however, with a strict feeding regime we came up with and a lot of medication, Allie was doing okay.

This morning, she threw up shortly after feeding. And then she threw up again. Within a short time, Allie could barely walk. She was becoming somewhat non responsive - her eyes seemed glazed.

We rushed her to the vet and were told there was no hope. I offered up that money was no object and I had the will to continue to care for her. The doctor said Allie was suffering and she could not justify extraordinary treatment. As we consulted, Allie kept slipping away more and appeared to drool and have difficulty breathing.

We let her go and now I am so incredibly sad and overwhelmed. I am reflecting that perhaps I should have researched her meds before rushing her to the doctor as I was aware of metronidazole toxcity but did not think of it this morning - she had been on 500 mg twice a day for a year. All of these thoughts are making me quite ill with should have , would have, etc. I really do not know where to turn.

Thank you all for listening one more time to Allie

Mary Lou
Murphy, forever in my heart, 11/1/98-10/1/12; his BFF Allie, 5/12/05-2/7/16 and Ziggy (6 year old mixed Shepherd/Lab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:52 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I am so sorry for your loss. But you did everything you could for her.

A metronidazole toxicity would have shown way sooner than a year, if she was susceptible to it.

Don't question your decisions. You did the best you could with the information given. Autoimmune diseases are horrible. Your girl have a good fight, and you stuck with her for all of it.

Again, I am so sorry. It never gets easier. She was loved and she knew it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss! It sounds as though you cared very much for her and did the best you could for her. Don't beat yourself up - she was fortunate to have had someone like you who took such care if her. Unfortunately, sometimes there are animals, and human babies as well, that simply fail to thrive. A few years ago I had to have a young beautiful pet put to sleep. She was also a breeder reject who was never quite strong enough. It broke my heart. Be kind to yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:29 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss.

You did everything possible for your girl and gave her a full life. Sheps can live to be 14 and every now and again someone tells you of one they knew who was older than that. But the average lifespan is currently 10-12. To bring a dog to that age with serious immune system issues tells of how committed you were to your dog.

It is always hard to lose them. But the ones that are toughest, in health or in behavior, they just seem to be much harder to let go of. They make us grow as owners, as trainers, as people. They build our hearts up. And when they pass it is like a hole that will shatter us.

But don't let it. The loss you feel speaks of the great love you had for your girl, the great part of your life that she shared.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for your loss. You gave her the absolute best life possible.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all. I wanted to add that Allie was an incredible dog with a wonderful personality. She could have been an ambassador for German Shepherds. She was beautiful, steady, watchful and loving. Allie never stopped watching me from the day she arrived. When we moved to Las Vegas in Nov. 2012, Allie looked out the window the whole trip - she would fall asleep with her head on the back of the seat and then wake up and watch some more. Every stop for the 7 day trip was an adventure for her. Allie met these incredible Indians in New Mexico who ran an animal rescue and fell in love with New Mexico - I think she felt for the first time a freedom from all the allergies from grass, etc. in Miami. She will be so missed. Ziggy is a problem as he has severe behavioral issues of which we were not aware when he was rescued so Ziggy will forever more have to be an only dog. Right now Ziggy is not certain what is going on as he has been with Allie since he was 5 months old.
Thank you again - I know time helps but that is of no comfort right now. I am going to call the vet tomorrow with a few questions.

Mary Lou
Murphy, forever in my heart, 11/1/98-10/1/12; his BFF Allie, 5/12/05-2/7/16 and Ziggy (6 year old mixed Shepherd/Lab)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Crowned Member

I am very sorry for your loss!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Elite Member

I am so very sorry to hear about Allie

Please don't blame yourself, you did everything possible and have nothing to feel guilty for, you gave her a wonderful life.

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

Marylou I am so sorry for your loss of Allie. It is so hard to let them go. You and she made it through so much. I believe that when these beloved companions cant physically go on to watch us they go to aplace where they are strong and know no pain and they wait on us while still watching over us. I know that in no way helps now. Take care
Maggi

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page