Beloved Cubby Passed Away Today - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to NormanF Send a message via Yahoo to NormanF Send a message via Skype™ to NormanF
Beloved Cubby Passed Away Today

I lost my six year old GSD two weeks after her birthday.

She came down with distemper and stopped eating. She died outside the animal hospital door this afternoon.

It was so sudden! I did everything I could to save her and in the end it wasn't enough.

Cubby was my first GSD and my baby girl.... she should have lived several more years.

She let me know it was her time. My dog loved me very much and my apartment is empty without her presence.

I'm feeling grief and also the privilege of getting to know her for the past 3 years since I adopted her.

Cubby crossed the Rainbow Bridge this afternoon and wherever she is, I hope she is happy and free of pain.

I miss her and love her very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Banned

Distemper at six?? I'm both stunned and so sorry.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to NormanF Send a message via Yahoo to NormanF Send a message via Skype™ to NormanF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Distemper at six?? I'm both stunned and so sorry.
Cubby stopped eating a few weeks ago. She kept drinking plenty of water but it wasn't enough. Vet gave ampocillin and some food which did nothing for her. She never regained her appetite and watching a dog die is a painful experience.

I took her today to the vet she was so weak, he gave antibiotics and when I took her outside the animal hospital after a short while, she laid down, stopped breathing and her heartbeat was gone.

I was offended when the vet put in a trash bag. I'm going to get her ashes back and that will give me some consolation.

What more could I have done? She was here and now she's gone forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:41 PM
Banned

At 6 years old I don't think that should have happened?? I don't know but I do remember another case and I do believe, that dog pulled through.

That story is uh long:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...distemper.html
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I am so sorry for your loss.

How do you know it was distemper? Had she been vaccinated? If they thought distemper, why give her antibiotics? Sorry for the questions, I know it's a difficult time for you. But a 6 yo dog with distemper is pretty rare.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

A dog can pull through.

But sometimes, its too much for the dog and the dog just doesn't want to live any more.

That was the case with Cubby and I wasn't an abusive or neglectful owner. She was like my shadow and now she's no longer here.

I'm still stunned.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:50 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
A dog can pull through.

But sometimes, its too much for the dog and the dog just doesn't want to live any more.

That was the case with Cubby and I wasn't an abusive or neglectful owner. She was like my shadow and now she's no longer here.

I'm still stunned.
Oh, I am not saying you did anything wrong. It's just so rare. And so many people say a single vaccine for distemper lasts a very long time if not for life. So if she got it, after being vaccinated, it's a big deal.

You must be crushed, and again I am so sorry for your loss.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
At 6 years old I don't think that should have happened?? I don't know but I do remember another case and I do believe, that dog pulled through.

That story is uh long:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...distemper.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
I am so sorry for your loss.

How do you know it was distemper? Had she been vaccinated? If they thought distemper, why give her antibiotics? Sorry for the questions, I know it's a difficult time for you. But a 6 yo dog with distemper is pretty rare.
She was vaccinated three years ago. I don't understand why the vet gave an antibiotics shot. When I saw the vet ten days ago, I was told it was a stomach bug, she ate something she shouldn't and I gave nearly all the prescribed ampocillin. It didn't mend her. When I came in today, the diagnosis was distemper. And the vet actually had the nerve to accuse me of being responsible for her getting sick and her for death! God knows I tried everything to get her to eat again and she refused. As for getting sick, I don't know how she came down with it. To see a dog waste away is not my idea of taking care of a dog and I was at a loss on what more to do for her.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'm curious why the vet let her go if she was in such bad shape?

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I mean, this is the first time in my life I've seen an animal starve to death.

I never deprived her of food and water. What is really strange is she would drink plenty of water but she wouldn't touch her food.

I don't understand why she was able to drink but not to eat.

And I wanted her to get well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page