It is with deep sadness.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

It is with deep sadness....

It is with a heavy heart that I admit that my best friend is gone. My beloved six year old German Shepherd Dog, Gordon had not been feeling well for about 10 days. Nothing crazy, just a little lethargic, still eating, and still playing. He even went to doggie day care this past Saturday, and they told us how cute he was playing in the pool with his toys. Then on Sunday, we noticed he seemed a little out of it and we thought it best to take him to the emergency room (you know, just in case). I had to go into work, so my fiance took him to the University of Penn, one of the best veterinary hospitals in the company. I was confident he would be calling me let me know what his diagnosis was shortly. I heard from my fiance after he checked into the vet, he said that they had brought Gordon back out to him, so there's no way it could be anything too serious. The next thing I knew, my fiance called me to tell me that he was outside at my work. My heart sank, I knew this couldn't be good news. He then told me they had found a mass in Gordon's chest and needed to do an ultrasound and some blood work early the next day. I cried, my mind thought the worst. After getting home from work, I came home to see Gordon and my fiance, I was thinking positive thoughts. We made Gordon sleep in our bed with us that night (something we all enjoyed). I woke up anxious the next day and we took him to the vet around 6:00am. The next thing I knew, my heart was again sinking, the vet called to tell me that Gordon had collapsed due to a lack of oxygen and had to be in an oxygen kennel to keep him stable. She then said she would have more information and would call me back shortly. I started crying and told my fiance we needed to go back to the vet. When we arrived at the vet's office, I continued to try and stay optimistic. I just kept thinking, if it's surgery he needs, we will deal with the bills later. Who cares, as long as he gets better, and can come home with us. Shortly after arriving at the vet's office, she came out and brought us back to an office. She started talking in a lot of medical terms, and I wasn't really sure what she was getting to. Then, it happened - like all of the light had been taken from the world. She told us that Gordon had Acute Leukemia and our only options were to put him to sleep, or to put him through extensive chemo-therapy in order to get 6-8 months, and he would primarily live at the vet while going through chemo. My heart sank, I looked at my fiance and we both knew. I started crying uncontrollably. Just a few moments later, we got to see Gordon in a cold, cozy room with a bunch of blankets. Gordon was so excited to see us and he was so happy! We kept asking her if she was sure this was the right decision, because of how happy he was. The vet told us he was a trooper, and that he was in serious crisis, and at risk of bleeding out at any time. We gave him hugs, he gave us kisses and we petted him up until the time his heart stopped beating. I would like to think we freed him from any further pain. I am totally and completely devastated. I brought what I thought was a healthy, happy dog to the vet and I was told that he was dying, and I would not be able to bring him home. My heart is broken.....my whole soul feels broken. My fiance and I each took of work and cried together for three days. We are feeling guilty, devastated, lonely, and sometimes just angry. Coming in and out of the house has been heart breaking, each time I expect Gordon to be greeting me at the door. Every time, the dog next door barks, I wait to hear Gordon's bark. Each time I walk upstairs, I wait to hear the pitter patter of his paws behind me. We've made a very large collection of memories (around 200), and printed out around 200 pictures. Even writing this, I keep expecting to see him laying on the couch with me.

Gordon, you were our best friend, and our protector. Please watch over us from doggie heaven. We love you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. They aren't with us nearly long enough and especially tragic to lose one so young.

post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:47 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Having lost one in the past I know how hard this is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Knighted Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs. RIP Gordon.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Knighted Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. It's terribly hard even when you are prepared, much less having it happen suddenly like this. I know you are probably devastated and in shock. Be good to yourself and remember that Gordon will never really die as long as you hold him in your heart.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

So sorry for your loss.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Master Member

I am so sorry for this terrible loss. He will always be in your home and heart, he sounds like he was such a wonderful family member and truly special. I am sorry.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:30 PM
Knighted Member

To lose them so young is so very hard, been there. It does get easier, one day at a time.

Hugz

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry, he was loved and had a good life with you.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page