Shelby - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Shelby

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums (obviously by this being my first post). I actually joined here 3 weeks ago after I found out my long time friend Shelby had hemangiosarcoma. I was reluctant to make a post since I was in shock and did not really know what to write. I guess I should have at least done a hello in the new member section.
Anyway, I lost Shelby this morning. She has been doing well these last few weeks with only 1 other episode since she was diagnosed. She started feeling ill last night before I went to work and when I got home she looked even worse than when I left. Took her to the vet and the doc pretty much said this is the end of the line since it looks like the tumor has ruptured. My wife and I made the very tough decision to end her suffering and put her down. Devastaded, crushed, hurt, angry, empty.... the list goes on as I descibe my pain.
I guess I am just writing this to kind of help heal my pain and it does seem to help. Shelby is the 3rd of 4 GSD to have blessed my life and I dare say she was the best. We went everywhere togehter and she was always at my side. I love her and will always miss her. I feel silly being a 44 year old man and crying like a 2 year old all day. Just goes to show how much these dogs mean in our lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2824.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	293386  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. You will find a lot of support here. There are many who have lost their dogs to hemangio. It kills quickly. Even, with early diagnosis, the prognosis is not good. You did all you could. Shelby was beautiful and obviously very well loved. No dog will ever take Shelby's place, but I hope one day your heart will heal enough to make room for another dog.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
I am so very sorry for your loss. You will find a lot of support here. There are many who have lost their dogs to hemangio. It kills quickly. Even, with early diagnosis, the prognosis is not good. You did all you could. Shelby was beautiful and obviously very well loved. No dog will ever take Shelby's place, but I hope one day your heart will heal enough to make room for another dog.
Thank you. I actually did a lot of reading here after first joining. Very inspiring and helpful stories. My first GSD Crystal died at 13 and she was my childhood pup. My dad put her down when I was in my 20's on vacation and I never got to say goodbye.
My second GSD Midnight I got when I was in my mid 20's and she died at age 10 from what seemed to be some sort of stroke. Both dog's were struggling in their final years with mobility, blindness, senility, etc.
The hard part about Shelby is that we just had her over at my parents house on Easter Sunday and she was doing great. Everyone commented on how well she looked for being almost 12. Then a week later she starts sulking, not eating, body cold and somewhat unresponsive... I took her to the vet the next day even though she was feeling much better. After some blood tests I find out she has this disease I never heard of. 3 weeks later and bam - here I am - this all happened so fast. Matter of fact we were just playing tug of war last night and she pulled me out of my chair (strong upper body strength - I weigh 165). Soon after the sulking thing began and this morning she did not even have the strength to get up. Sucks. At least I got to be there and say goodbye this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 04:05 PM

So sorry for your loss.What a shock.I lost my last Gsd suddenly two years ago and I totally understand how devastating it is.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss of Shelby. She was a beautiful Shepherd. Hang in there, she will be in your heart forever...

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 04:58 PM
Elite Member

Shelby's face was so sweet. I am very sorry for your loss. Dogs fill a special place in our hearts, and when they leave us, we are truly heartbroken. Take care.

Moriah
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:03 PM
Master Member

I am so sorry for your loss, she sounds wonderful. Nothing could ever prepare us to lose a being so special and close to us. She must have had such an amazing life with you...she lives in the love you have for her and will always be by your side.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Master Member

If you haven't read it yet this poem helps many in grieving their lost friends, I believe it full heartedly, I hope it helps. https://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry for your loss. Shelby lived a good life and was a beautiful dog. It is hard to lose your best friend.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 PM
Knighted Member

Don't be ashamed to cry. It show that you are a caring, good person that loved your beautiful dog. Sorry for your loss. It never gets any easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page