Lost Zeke so suddenly yesterday to hemangiosarc - only 7 :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Lost Zeke so suddenly yesterday to hemangiosarc - only 7 :(

Zeke had a small hard lump on his abdomen so he was at work with me sunday night getting a needle aspirate of it to send off to the lab. He had been acting 100% normal, we were assuming it was a soft tissue sarcoma - usually benign, and you just want to remove them when they're smaller.

Yesterday morning at 9am we did full vitals and the doctor did a full physical exam on him to complete his medical chart, as we knew we would likely do surgery on it to remove it, just to be safe.

He walked to the dumpsters with me at work to dump the trash. He was walking really slow, just seemed tired, but I assumed it was the tramadol I had given him the night before for the aspirate because it can cause sedation. It was a low dose he's received numerous times. He wasn't acting sick. Just a little sedate.

He vomited in the car on the way home, bile, but I was hoping it was just because he hadn't eaten. At home he was a lot dumpier, but still up, alert, drinking some water. Heart rate and respiratory rate were fine, gum color looked fine. Not bloated or distended feeling. Soft abdomen. I called my doctor and we decided if he didn't seem better within a few hours I would take him back into work. I would of taken him then, but I was SO Tired from the overnight shift and the drive home, I didn't want to risk driving back up.

I laid down with him at 11:30 am. I woke up at 2 pm to check on him, and he was taking his last breath.

So sudden, and so heartbreaking. I felt so guilty for not taking him back to work. I felt like I had somehow killed him. Was it the polyurethane I had coated the floors with last tuesday? Did poking the mass somehow kill him??

Luckily necropsy eased my guilt. Hemangiosarcoma - mass on his heart had caused pericardial effusion - he had bled into the sack around his heart and that's what had killed him. He also had mets all throughout his lungs, and a mass on his spleen. I had done full chest and abdominal films in December to look for masses, just as a preemptive senior profile I did every 6 months. They had been perfectly clean.

It was fast moving, and there was nothing anyone could of done. My surgeon said even without the bleed, because of all the masses in his lungs, he would of been gone within a week. It was completely unrelated to the lump on his abdomen and just pure coincidence.

My poor Beakers.... only 7 yrs old It's something I expected to happen eventually, owning a breed predisposed to hemangiosarc. I just wanted at least 10 years with him. Even though a thousand years still wouldn't be enough.

He was my first dog. And I miss him so much.

R.I.P. Zeke. I'm grateful it was quick for you, and with minimal suffering. That much at least, we can be grateful for.

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

That is so sad I am sorry for your loss of Zeke..

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Elite Member

Very sorry for your loss . RIP Zeke

-Tara

Ruger, GSD - 11/18/14
Ember, GSD - 2/24/16
Jasmine, Rottie- 1/2004
Neko, black cat - 4/16/08 : 9/17/17
Nero, black cat - 5/18/08 : 11/19/17
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. Don't feel guilty about it. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it and as you say it was quick, so maybe if you took him to the vet again, it might have been long suffering for Zeke. You were there for Zeke at his last moments and this is what matters
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivonice View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. Don't feel guilty about it. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it and as you say it was quick, so maybe if you took him to the vet again, it might have been long suffering for Zeke. You were there for Zeke at his last moments and this is what matters
Thank you. Now that I know what it was I'm glad we didn't go back in. It would of meant prolonged tests and a chest tap and he would of been scared and stressed, and still gone in the end

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Elite Member

What a beautiful boy! I am SO sorry for your loss. Words are not adequate, but know that fellow dog lovers' thoughts are with you!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM

I'm so so sorry.
I lost my Italian Greyhound, Boz, the same way. He was just 9 years old.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Your beautiful, handsome, boy is at peace now. No pain, no suffering. I know that it still hurts so bad though. They are such great companions and by the pictures, you shared much together. He was fortunate to have found you and you to have found him. You gave him a wonderful life. One day your great memories will help dry up the many tears. That's my hope too.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:29 PM

So sorry for your loss. You're right a 1000 years is still too short .

CHARGER,May, 27, 2004-Feb.2, 2016

ZEUS, 2003-2013

SAWYER, 2015-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page