Twice in one year - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Twice in one year

It happened again. We lost 2 in 369 days. We lost Tracy on October 1, 2013 and then lost Kodiak on October 5, 2014. We were Tracy's retirement home. We got her when she was 9 and had her for 2 1/2 short years. She passed from very unexpected bloat. It was tragic but I had kept my promise to her. I knew each one of her days was going to be the best. The loss saddened us. We had Kodiak left. No way would I ever guess that this boy would get sick at 6 1/2 years old. He was the beneficiary of all the trials from the GSDs before him. He was fed the best food, walked regularly, exercised regularly, taken care of like none before him. Then he was diagnosed with bladder cancer August 30th. The month following was a steady decline. He ate less and less and I felt if he would only eat, he would be ok. He still had his sparkle. He was a fighter. Why he had to go I am dumbfounded. I tell myself that he and Tracy must have really become good friends and he wanted to be with her. My heart is shattered, again. But, I take comfort in knowing they are together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss. There is none other like losing a great canine friend. What a wonderful thing you did for Tracy though. I had a young lab pass from cancer at four years old. Why such things happen to humans or dogs so suddenly at young ages we will never know. We can only take comfort in knowing the love and wonderful life we give them. My thoughts are with you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 PM

I'm so sorry.

I took in a 13 year old rescue Doberman one time, and had her for 11 months before I lost her. She was an absolute jewel, and I don't regret for one second taking her in. I've also lost dogs close together too (actually a little over 2 weeks apart), so I know how hard it is.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for your loss of Kodiak . Losing a dog in his prime and unexpectedly is so hard. Thank you for giving Tracy a golden retirement and a family to love and be loved. .

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry. It's so hard to lose them. They take a part of us with them. And I think they leave a bit of themselves in our hearts. Sharing our lives with GSDs (probably any dog) expands our lives and hearts, and it is only right that their loss is painful for us. Were it not so, than their lives would not have brought us so many positive things.

I'm sorry, your boy was so young. There is only so much that we have control over. We can stack the deck in our favor in our selection, and we can feed the best of everything, and limit exposure to whatever might cause a problem, but in the end, there is only so much we have control over. And the rain falls on the good and bad. Your boy had a good life, and you did your best for him. He had six and a half good years because you loved him and cared for him as you did.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for your loss. It really hurts losing them close together. RIP Tracy and Kodiak
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. It is especially hard when we lose two so close together and even more so when one is so young. Take good care.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss of Tracy and Kodiak. It is hard to lose them so close. Both my boys had that sparkle, just all them, till the end also. There's comfort in that and sadness too. Peace to you and your family.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 PM

So sorry to hear about the passing of Kodiak (like his name ). To lose them is hard and you will think of them every day from now on like you always have but on one of those days instead of a tear coming to your eye, a smile will come to your face and the thought will make you happy. RIP Kodiak..
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Crowned Member

4GSD, so sorry to hear of loss. Dogs enter and leave our lives, but the impression they make on our hearts stay with us forever!

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page