Lost my 1.5 y/o after rescuing him three weeks ago. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Lost my 1.5 y/o after rescuing him three weeks ago.

Long story short, I rescued my boy Brady three weeks ago after a tough life wandering around Oklahoma and spending months in Denver at his shelter after being transferred here. Brady was very timid of most things and noises, but was attached to me at the hip 24/7, since I work from home. He was quickly adapting and was acting like a normal dog as of this last week.

We had daily walks and social time and weekly one on one dog training sessions with a professional dog trainer. I had a three day trip to Salem, MA this past weekend that had been planned for months and it concerned me getting a new dog and then having to leave within a month since he was so attached to me.

My 15 y/o son who has been around Brady a lot was to watch him while I was away. I left Friday morning and my son came home at 3:30 pm and let Brady out of his crate. At 5pm that night my son answered the door since his friend was coming over and Brady rushed out of the door. This was not normal for Brady since he has been outside with me off leash many times and has never once ran. He had separation anxiety issues and I wonder if he was looking for me since when I left I would leave out of this door.

So Brady ran off and would not come back via a voice command from my son. He and his friend looked for Brady for two hours and then it got dark. A friend then searched via a vehicle with no luck.

At 4am the following morning I received a call from a sheriff's deputy that Brady had been a victim of a hit and run and that he was deceased. He was found a block from my house. I live a block from a busy street and it appeared that Brady was making his way back home from being gone all night.

That news brought me to one of the worst days of my life. It made it even worse since my son was involved and he has been so hard on himself for letting Brady get out, even though it was not his fault.

Got home tonight and visited the scene of his accident and I'm just devastated.

I've attached a few pictures from the past few weeks. He hurt his left eye right before I got him, which is why his hair is missing. It was almost all grown back when he died. Miss him so much. RIP buddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	244609   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	173
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	244617   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	244625  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 02:05 AM
Elite Member

I am so very sorry for your pain and suffering. To your son: You are not to blame. You did all you could to find him, I pray you are both able to heal during this tragedy. I am so sorry.

Hail Gunther 7-2-2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.

"Some people never end up going crazy...what a truly terrible life they must lead." - Unknown
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Knighted Member

So sorry for your family's loss. I hope your son is doing ok.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your loss! Sounds like Brady was going to have had a very good life and he found love!

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 07:25 AM

Sorry for your loss. Remember that Brady found love and a good home, which you gave him.

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Knighted Member

I am so very sorry. How heartbreaking! You and your son are in my thoughts. It really, really wasn't his fault; this could happen to anyone and has happened to most of us, just not with such devastating results.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

This is terrible I am so sorry for the loss of your gorgeous boy.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Master Member

I am so sorry for your loss my heart breaks for your son also. A few years back we lost our boxer that had been part of our family for eight years in a somewhat similar situation. I had taken Nemo (yes he was named after the fish) to the vet for an issue with one of his eyes (his pressures were high and causing his right eye to buldge) when we got back my middle son who was about 12 at the time hooked him up to his outside run. Nemo was the ultimate escape artist and we had to use two hooks on the end of the lead fastened in opposite directions to keep him from getting loose. He had gotten loose multiple times in the past and always came up to the back deck to peer into the windows waiting for us to come out... lol he was our very own peeping tom. Anyway, we got back from the vet trip and my son tied him out and apparently only secured one of the hooks... we went inside for just 15 minutes and I came back out to give him his next dose of eye drops and he was gone. We looked for the rest of that day and night and could not find him. The next evening we were heading into town to run an errand and my oldest son and I saw him not even 100 yards from the house... we are assuming it was a semi that hit him.. it is a very busy road. The only thing I can figure is that there must have been a female in heat somewhere close by.... My son would not talk about Nemo for at least a year after this happened because he felt so responsible for his death. I know you are hurting too but comfort your son and assure him it is not his fault I am sure he needs that right now... You are in my thoughts...

Kimberly
Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014

There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or closing the book.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 12:50 PM

That is an awful thing to have happen, and I feel terrible for you and your son. We had our small dog dart out the door recently, and it was shocking and unexpected. I love the pictures, what a handsome dog.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

this is so awful.. im sorry for your loss. I hope your son get through this soon.. I still blame myself for a dog that our family lost 20 years ago.

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page