Baron - 11.23.10-7.12.14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Baron - 11.23.10-7.12.14

Saturday my wife and I experienced the devastating decision to say goodbye to Baron. He was 3.5 years young and unexpectedly had to be rushed to the vet. Saturday morning around 9am he was having trouble laying down and started to lay in odd spots and quickly moved so I immediately got him to the vet. Upon X-ray they said his abdomen was in bad shape and surgery would be needed. He was then rushed to an emergency vet and they got him on IVs immediately to get him out of shock. I am thankful they brought him out one last time prior to surgery so I could give him a hug and kiss knowing it may be the last.

Surgery revealed his colon and intestines had twisted and they were dying off. The options and prognosis were extremely grave and his quality of life would be poor if he even survived through surgery. My wife and I decided that it was better for us to suffer the loss of our beloved little buddy then to let him suffer.

Baron was a huge part of our lives as we got him right after we had moved in together and he watched over our family as we welcomed our first son 8 months ago.

He did have a history of vet visits and a rough time trying to stay healthy. At 6 months he was deathly skinny due to becoming sick and he wouldn't eat. After switching vets he finally got him on the right track but he always had his ribs sticking out. He didn't care for treats and most things made him sick. I also have another thread about his walking tendencies. He was a lot of patience and tears to give him the life we could and we miss him so much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry These pictures break my heart.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Crowned Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, he was very handsome and obviously well loved Bloat scares me beyond words

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Sorry for your loss. What a great looking boy he was. I feel your pain, we had to put down our Great Dane when he was only 5 1/2 years old. Sudden spinal disease problems and he couldn't walk. No quality of life so we had to let him go. We miss him but we have our Shepard in our lives now. God Bless to your family.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss, he was very beautiful, and is now in a better place.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

My heart aches for you and your family.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much everyone. The worst part is how young he was. He didn't get to grow old and enjoy his senior years.

Honestly we always had a feeling deep down he would have a shorter life due to all his complications he had. He dealt with irritable bowel which is the only answer we had to why he was skinny and most food passed through him quickly. Although we weren't convinced there weren't other issues. We had so many tests run on him and scopes and ultrasounds and they couldn't ever find anything to diagnose. Once we got him on Acana he actually ate almost daily and his diarrhea issue went away.

He definitely enjoyed life and everyone he met. We took him to a nearby day care during the work week where he was a favorite bc of his big personality and big heart.

We haven't been able to bring ourselves to clean up his toys, vacuum or empty his half eaten food dish. All my past dogs have been 12-14 when they passed which I think this is why it's so tough with Baron.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you made the hardest best decision for him you could .......it hurts so bad to loose one so young. We lost one young and it stands out in my memory like it was yesterday.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Still not sure how he had gotten up there without falling in.

He was even part of our engagement photo session in Valley Forge Park.

He was just an incredible part of our lives. I want to thank anyone who reads or comments on this thread for taking a moment to hopefully smile on some the pictures I can share.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Elite Member

Im sorry for your loss... i cant imagine if i have to go through this.. must be hard.
He is in heaven now no pain no suffering.

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page