Our beloved Max ... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Our beloved Max ...

I would like to tell you about my Max, if I can through all of these rascally tears. My wife and I got him and his sister Brinksie just over nine years ago. They were brother and sister. I know everyone thinks their dog is the best, but these two were, (Brinksie is still with us,) extraordinary German Shepherd Dogs.

We were inseparable. Most of our friends deserted us, understandably so, since we were/are true "Dog People." We never left them alone overnight, and we trusted no one to "watch" them, and never placed them into a kennel.

I made all of their food, and still do for Brinksie. They had clean water every day, and there was two acres for them to rule and play in.

So why are we grieving Max?

It is the most devastating disease to watch a German Shepherd Dog endure. Degenerative Myelopathy. About a year ago, we saw changes in Max's gait, and his proprioception. For those of you who have suffered with your GSD with this, you know what that means. Max didn't know where his back legs were, so he would misstep. This is a very slow and progressive disease, and it took almost a year until day before yesterday; it was time to euthanize Max.

He was otherwise completely healthy, but could no longer mask his pain, as GSD's tend to do, and could not pull himself up.

So we took him to the veterinary doctor, and he was first injected with a strong sedative. About five minutes later, the euthanasia solution was introduced and he died very shortly thereafter.

We both cried over his body, for a long time, then it was time to leave. He will be cremated on Monday, and we will get his ashes shortly thereafter. We have the most wonderful pictures and memories of Max. We know that in time we will forget the very last days, and remember the other nine years of how wonderful this dog was. He gave more than we ever gave him. Instead of four ears at the window, then the mad dash out the back dog door to the yard to greet us, there is now just one set.

I just love this dog so much, and it hurts so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry you lost Max. Though it is so hard to do, you did the right thing. RIP Max.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 PM

I am so sorry. Blessings to you, your wife and Brinskie.

Jocassee..Labrador Retriever 11-12-09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tar...GSD 1-7-2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss of Max He will be in your hearts forever and will always be watching over you. Rest in Peace Max....

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

It is hard to lose old friends. But you will all be together again one day.

"I'd better go with you Huck, civilization can be dangerous."-------Tom Sawyer(Mark Twain)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

I lost my 9 year old GSD Shadow to DM November 2011. We still have his brother Buddy. Give Brinksie extra loves and hugs... She will be grieving too. I'd like to tell you it gets easier, but tears are pouring down my face as I write this. It really hasn't yet. Everytime we lose a dog it tears another little piece of my heart up. But I wouldn't trade a bit of it! Hugs to you and your family!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 AM
Elite Member

I am sorry for your loss. I hope that you are comforted by the wonderful life that you shared with Max.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Knighted Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
Sheilah
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

Run free Max, until you meet your loved ones once again.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

I'm very sorry for your loss RIP Max and to you and your family, he'll live on in his sister and your memories forever and I believe with all my heart we will meet and never be seperated again in Heaven so that's a comfort to me.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page