RIP Zorra - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

RIP Zorra

Kind of a sad long first post from me, but I have been a long time reader on here and have learned a lot from this site.

Story Of Zorra:

July of 2011, my wife and I had decided to buy our first house. We were looking into getting a family dog, and we decided to go to our local SPCA. I was looking for a German Shepherd due to the fact my Mother had owned one while i was growing up and I absolutely love the breed. We looked around at the shelter and immediately I fell in love with Zorra. Now, the SPCA in my county is pretty strict about their adopting policy. We signed up to adopt Zorra, but we were 3rd on the list. We were told that the SPCA picked her up from being left out to fend for herself. They then contacted the owner of the micochip, but the man did not want the dog. After I had my wife call a numerous amount of times to see if we were the family that they chose, we finally got Zorra.

Zorra was only 45-50 pounds when we adopted her and took her home. After all the care, many vet visits, and heartworm treatments, we managed to get her weight back up to 75 pounds. We were not 100% sure what her weight was supposed to be due to the fact the SPCA and my vet said she was not a pure bred Shepherd, but we were told that it was supposed to be between 70-95LBS for pure breeds. A few months later my wife had brought home a Pitbull puppy. Zorra welcomed that dog in our home with open paws like it was one of her own and got along so well.

2 Years Later...

June 2013 I took Zorra to the vet for her 6 month check-up, Everything checked out fine, no problems and she was healthy according to the vet.

Now the heatbreaking story....

September 20th 4am.

Zorra started choking and spitting up saliva. Immediately, I called the local Emergency Vet thinking she might have accidentally got a hold of something, or ate something bad, not thinking it was going to be anything major because she acted normal all week, eating, sleeping, playing with her sister, etc. While driving to the vet, she started crying in pain, i feared the worse. While waiting at the vet, she told me she needed to take x-rays because her throat felt hard and her abdomen didn't feel right. 10 minutes later come the worst news. Zorra had a mass surrounding her spleen that could be cancerous, with a stomach bloat. She also said that the Mass could have spread through-out her throat. She gave me the option to pay for the surgery with a 25% chance that she will be ok after, or to put her down. I had to make the most heartbreaking choice in my life.

I felt like in the end that I did something wrong, or wasn't paying enough attention and thought that this was my fault. When we went to the vet back in June, I asked the vet how old she thinks she was due to the fact there were no records back at the SPCA. She said about 3-5 years. I just couldn't figure out how a dog this young was so sick and not show any signs. Later on, i took the x-rays from the Emergency Vet to another local vet to get a second opinion. He then told me from looking at the spine, she looked more like 8-10 years old.

I felt comfortable enough to post this and share this here because I respect a lot of the posters on here, and I know some had been through the same. I have learned a lot from people on this site, and I wanted to say thank you.

RIP Zorra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for you & your family

Zorra was a beautiful girl, such a kind face in that picture. These dogs make such a big imprint in our lives.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I just don't understand how I did not see this coming, with no signs at all. She was always eating normal and active. I kept up to date on all her shots and visits. I was worried that her hips would go bad before I thought she could have even had these other issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was a very hard decision. (they are never easy). Kinda strange how she was fine one moment and not the next. Did they ever say what caused her throat to be like that? If it was cancer did it spread to other places as well? RIP

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Crowned Member

Please do not blame yourself. Sometimes these things really do just come on all of a sudden. Did the vet mention Hemangiosarcoma? Which, unfortunately is seen alot in our breed.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye1 View Post
I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was a very hard decision. (they are never easy). Kinda strange how she was fine one moment and not the next. Did they ever say what caused her throat to be like that? If it was cancer did it spread to other places as well? RIP

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
They said that the bloat could possibly be taken care of, but if they couldn't get it down her throat, they wouldn't be able to get rid of it.

Most of her problems started from the stomach Mass she has. It was messing with her stomach, and they think the Mass had spread.

According to the Vet, a Mass can take over a dog in the matter of weeks, and if its cancerous, there is really nothing you can do. Even if she had surgery, and if it was cancerous witch was a 75-85% chance it was, she only had less then 3 months. I just did not want to put her through more pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
Please do not blame yourself. Sometimes these things really do just come on all of a sudden. Did the vet mention Hemangiosarcoma? Which, unfortunately is seen alot in our breed.
The emergency vet did not say anything about it. The vet that i got a 2nd opinion from did.

Last edited by Kevin87; 09-21-2013 at 09:13 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Crowned Member

If you do a search on the board of Hemangiosarcoma you will see a similar story.

Again, I am very sorry. It's obvious this girl was very much loved.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM

I am so sorry. I know it doesn't help now, but I offer you my best thoughts and blessings. I personally believe you gave Zorra the last best gift you could give her (freedom from pain) and that she will always be thankful for that and love you even more. She'll be waiting for you. If I didn't believe that, I would be a very sad person.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

I am sorry for your loss of Zorra She was beautiful...

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 AM

Sometimes it's so hard to let go of the ones we love so much but you want what's best for them, to give them the best quality of life possible. I'm so sorry you're going through this but I think you made the right decision. It looks like your beautiful girl was very much loved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page