1 week of silence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

1 week of silence

It's been a week since WD died and the silence is deafening, the house eerily clean. I thought I would wait for a long time before I would start to look for a pup.
But I can feel myself longing for a new pup already. It surprises me. I know for sure it is not to replace WD; no dog can. I just do not want to be without a GSD. I can wait for the right pup so I won't just take the first pup that I come across. (I waited decades for WD).
My question to those of you who got a pup shortly after the heart dog died, how did that work out? Did you have the energy, full devotion to this new little land shark? How did it affect your grieving? Was it confusing to look that new pup in his eyes and not see your "old" dog? Calling the new name etc. Any feedback appreciated. Please no judgements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

I think all people grieve differently. Some, like my husband, don't want to look at another dog for years. Myself, when we had to let my collie go, couldn't stand the emptiness. Let yourself grieve however you need to and do what you need to do to move on.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry. When we lost Cheyenne unexpectedly, I couldn't stand how quiet the house was. We still had Chazzy but it wasn't the same. My husband kept saying he wanted to wait, in a few days I began looking for our new pup, we had to wait a little over 2 months for him anyway.
I have found I am reminded of Cheyenne often but each one has their own personality and puppies tend to keep you busy which is the best thing for a broken heart.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:05 PM

After my Jack died I went with no dog for six months... He was a border collie and had a dark black face with bright eyes, smooth coat with prick ears. my SAR friends called him a mali in a tuxedo...I bought him from a breeder when I was living in England. I have lots of friends in border collie rescue so when one posted pictures of a year old bright eyed ball crazy rough coat with semi prick ears, I fell in love. Miles came flew from Texas 2 weeks later. Not what I wanted but something about those eyes. He is what I needed.

I wouldn't say he is my heart dog, he isnt Jack. I love him and everything, but he was a great dog for where I was in life. And everyone loves him and he loves everyone.

Dante is my new "jack". Not that Jack can be replaced, he can't, but the bond Dante and I have is as close as mine and Jack's. He has a big dark face and bright eyes. It was love at first sight for both of us when I opened his crate door at the airport.

There is no right time or anything. I strongly believe you go with your gut. I fell in love with all my dogs based on a feeling. And I wouldn't trade any of them. I am so sorry to hear about WD, and when it feels right, don't be afraid to open your heart again. And only you know when that time is.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sarah
Alighieri von Schraderhaus, (HOT) IPO3 AD -German Shepherd 4/8/2010
Miles, CGC - Border collie, Rescue 10/31/2006
Khaleesi von Feuer, (HOT) BH AD- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
Traveler- BC/ACD 2/3/2014
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I think all people grieve differently. Some, like my husband, don't want to look at another dog for years. Myself, when we had to let my collie go, couldn't stand the emptiness. Let yourself grieve however you need to and do what you need to do to move on.
Nicely said, I myself can't stand being without a dog so I can understand the emptiness you must feel, as long as you go into it with the right expectations and being healed or ready to devote your time, energy and love all should be fine. It is weird at first waking up to someone knew and calling a new name but in time it just becomes the new normal to you and the dog you lost will forever be in your heart and remembered, so sorry again to hear about the passing of your boy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Marlena
Bella 9/23/09
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gatticus 3/6/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cats zorro & Patches
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

I say go for it, you know yourself best. I've always had 2-3 dogs, only once was I down to just one and it felt strange. It only lasted a few months before I found my lab, she was the perfect fit.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

I have called Jonas Taz so many times I lost count. It helped me a lot when I got Jonas. He was not there to replace Taz. I got him to devote my love for German Shepherds towards him now. Yes I still had Ginger back then, but she always kept to herself. I always told everyone she was a cat trapped in a longhaired gsd's body . Everyone grieves differently , I still think about Taz and Ginger daily. I hope I will never forget them, I never want to, and I really don't think I ever will.

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Knighted Member

Yes, the silence is awful. I had a weird death experience with our previous dog mandy who died at 8 yrs old from cancer. About 2 months prior to her death, I had a strong desire to search on the internet for GSD puppies. I remember thinking, why am I doing this? I have a perfectly wonderful dog that I'll have for many more years, I felt I was betraying her.

After she died I thought I would enjoy a time of less obligations. But I found myself crying whenever I walked somewhere we would normally go. After about a week, my husband sent me some quote saying the best way to get over the death of a dog is to get a new one. She died 3rd week of April and by the middle of May I was ready to get a new pup or adult. I was in school, it was really stressful and I had to wait until the semester was almost over. I got Molly on Memorial Day weekend, I couldn't wait until school was over in June.

I had my daughter pick out Molly because I knew I would pick a dog that looked like our old one and would not be objective.

To answer your questions, yes I definitely had the energy for the new pup, it took me out of my depression which really drains your energy. I did expect our new pup the act similar to our old dog, I admit it did take me a while to see that she has her own personality and nothing would ever replace our old dog, that feeling came up once in while until Molly was about 1 year old. Now I totally love Molly's personality and am so happy I got to experience two unique, great dogs. I hope this helps you.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

I am so very sorry about WD. He was a great gsd and I so enjoyed your posts. I feel strongly that WD would not want you to be alone - he would want you to move on. The best way you can honor him for the wonderful companion that he was, is to open your heart to another gsd. That is what I do. When my aussie who was before my Sting crossed the bridge, I made arrangements for the next pup right away, then I took a month to mourn my aussie and prepare for the pup. I needed that time for myself and for the scent to go out of the house, so the next dog wouldn't be confused in smelling a dog that was not longer there. I found that advice in the Monks Of New Skete "How To be Your Dog's Best Friend" the chapter on loss. I went for the walks we took together and I looked at his photos. I thought of all the good times and was thankful for the time I had with him and that he left a legacy for the new pup to follow. I feel your beloved WD has done the same for you. Move on - WD would have been proud of you!

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I am so very sorry about WD. He was a great gsd and I so enjoyed your posts. I feel strongly that WD would not want you to be alone - he would want you to move on. The best way you can honor him for the wonderful companion that he was, is to open your heart to another gsd. That is what I do. When my aussie who was before my Sting crossed the bridge, I made arrangements for the next pup right away, then I took a month to mourn my aussie and prepare for the pup. I needed that time for myself and for the scent to go out of the house, so the next dog wouldn't be confused in smelling a dog that was not longer there. I found that advice in the Monks Of New Skete "How To be Your Dog's Best Friend" the chapter on loss. I went for the walks we took together and I looked at his photos. I thought of all the good times and was thankful for the time I had with him and that he left a legacy for the new pup to follow. I feel your beloved WD has done the same for you. Move on - WD would have been proud of you!
That was so sweet and so true. I told him before he died that I would not give up on shepherds and his legacy would live on in the shepherds that will come after him. So he heard it.
Thank you very much for these words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page