We lost a member of the family.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unhappy We lost a member of the family....

Today my dad had to make the decision to put his 9 year old Rottweiler Okia to sleep. It was sudden, but thinking back, maybe not as sudden as it seemed. 9 years ago my son and I went and got Okia for my mom the day that she lost her first Rottweiler, Tundra. I will never forget my mom's face or tears that she shed when I stepped away from my son and he was holding Okia for her. She grabbed that puppy, kissed her, and cried in her fur. Okia got my mom through a rough time. When my mom passed away almost a year ago, Okia was very confused, but she was there for my dad when he needed her most. They were together all the time and he took her everywhere. A couple months ago she started to lose some weight, we figured it was more exercise doing the trick. Within a month she lost about 15 pounds and concern set in. She was taken to the vet and blood was taken, urine testing, etc. The vet insisted everything was fine and she was healthy. Everything came back normal. He put her on the vets food of choice of course and that didn't help her appetite at all. She didn't want to eat, she lost weight, there was blood in the urine, and was drinking lots of water. I thought diabetes and after more research I thought maybe chronic renal failure. I finally told my dad on Sunday to take her to my vet. They had no appointments, but managed to squeeze her in. 1/2 hour later after xrays, it was confirmed that she had cancer and it was everywhere, masses everywhere and water on her lungs. At first they gave her a short time, then they recommended putting her down, she was in a lot of pain.Imagine all of our surprise, we really thought it was something that could be managed with medicine. My son said that the xrays were awful and you could see the masses everywhere. I was livid at the first vet, because after a couple months he still didn't diagnose her and insisted she didn't have cancer...I gave him a piece of my mind and it wasn't nice I couldn't make it to tell her goodbye, but my dad, my son, and my sister were there. My sister told me Sunday that she thought my mom was ready to have Okia come home, she could see it in Okia's eyes. She was a wonderful dog and certainly didn't deserve to have any pain. I know that she ran into my mom's open arms....RIP Okia, I will never forget you
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	946686_10151438246592616_1331602409_n.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	72274  

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Rest in Peace Okia.

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss. Okla was a blessed dog to be so loved during her life and at her passing. Thank you for the image of Okla united with your mother. That's a beautiful closure.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your family's loss.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry for all you and your family have lost, thankfully your Dad has wonderful daughters and grandson to help him through

RIP beautiful little doggie

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry for your families loss. She was a pretty girl that was obviously well loved. RIP Okia.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

Okia loved and was loved and that is a wonderful thing. My thoughts and prayers are w/you and your family and especially w/ your dad. Take care.Im sure Okia watches you still sitting next to your mom.
Maggi

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM

I am so sorry for your families loss she is beautiful may she rest in peace I am sure she will be in good hands up there with your mom watching over her may they both rest in peace together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your families loss of your precious Okia, may she run free at the bridge.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

So sorry for your family's loss. Cancer just stinks.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page