6 week old, gone already :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

6 week old, gone already :(

Hello, I am new to the forum. Recently my boyfriend and I decided it was time to get a GSD. We found one close to our home and knew he was the one! We first saw him at 3 weeks old. We made an arrangement with the owner to see him every 2 weeks until he was old enough to come home with us. We named him Gizmo.

When Gizmo was 5 weeks old we saw him for the second time. He was so cute. We loved him already. 5 days later my bf gets a call from the owner saying that the father attacked Gizmo and 2 of his sisters because they ate from the dad's food bowl. Gizmo was pronounced dead and the 2 girls went into surgery. One made it, the other didn't. I was mortified. I couldn't believe my little baby was gone before we could even start our lives together.

I have come to realize that the only way to fill this void is to carry on and try to find his counterpart. If anyone can help me find a male pup in the New England area it would be greatly appreciated. I have seen one but knew it wasn't my little boy. I know that "professional breeders" are expensive and I can not spend the money on them.

Any help is appreciated to find my new boy, or to help cope with the loss. Thank you GSD family!

http://[URL=http://s611.photobucket.com/user/05eclipse05/media/image_zpsb9b2e383.jpg.html][/URL]

Last edited by BrittanyC; 04-28-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry for Gizmo and his sisters tragic demise.

Professional breeders are professional because they are responsible. Better to save up and support a good breeder than the ones that take the shortcuts...in the end, the price of the pup is the least you'll fork out. I don't think people here will suggest any breeders that are not doing the breed justice.

So sorry for your loss....

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry. How tragic.

Jane is right. Save your money and go with a reputable breeder. You truly will save money in the long run. And Heaven knows - you don't need any more heartache.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:04 PM
Knighted Member

Poor little angel. Accidents happen.

Have you considered adoption? I don't want to derail your thread, but perhaps a local rescue can help you find the right puppy. Pure GSD pups do end up homeless more than you'd think.

Rest in peace little ones.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post

Have you considered adoption? I don't want to derail your thread, but perhaps a local rescue can help you find the right puppy. Pure GSD pups do end up homeless more than you'd think.

I do think I would prefer adopting if it came down to it. Problem is we are set on wanting to raise him from 8-10 weeks old. I guess contacting my local shelter couldn't hurt, thanks for the idea!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:27 PM

I am so sorry to hear of your loss but this person is right don't waste your time on the "cheap" puppies they usually will come from byb and may have a lot of health issues you are better to wait and save up for one from a reputable breeder who will help you if need be the whole dogs life. They may cost more but are worth every penny

[quote;3447114]I'm sorry for Gizmo and his sisters tragic demise.

Professional breeders are professional because they are responsible. Better to save up and support a good breeder than the ones that take the shortcuts...in the end, the price of the pup is the least you'll fork out. I don't think people here will suggest any breeders that are not doing the breed justice.

So sorry for your loss....[/quote]

Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM

This is a much better idea if you are planning to get a puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post

Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittanyC View Post
I do think I would prefer adopting if it came down to it. Problem is we are set on wanting to raise him from 8-10 weeks old. I guess contacting my local shelter couldn't hurt, thanks for the idea!
See if you have a local German Shepherd rescue. Usually that's where the pure (or those who look pure) puppies, puppies from breeders, mills, busts etc. will end up. You could offer your home as a foster home for puppies, that way you get to really know them from a very young age.

I regret not waiting to find a rescue pup and accepting a puppy from a cheap breeder, because he does have an awful temperament unfortunately. Though it's not always the case. But this is not the time to go into the whole irresponsible breeder debate.

Is this local to you?
German Shepherd Rescue of New England Inc

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have always figured that if you take the cost of a puppy from a good breeder and average it over the life of the dog it is not that much compared to the food, the vet care, the supplies etc. Certainly worth saving and waiting for.

Show pups can be expensive but good working line stock can be found for $1200-$1800 or so.....

When folks don't know what they are doing you wind up with health problems, temperament issues etc. It is not normal that the father would have attacked and killed young puppies. I think a good intact male GSD is about the gentlest thing around puppies...probably even more tolerant and indulgent than the females.

A good breeder is not necessariliy (usually is NOT) a big kennel operation but someone who is working/titling their stock, knows the breed etc...and may have a litter every few years or even 3 or 4 a year or so. Not someone who just has two dogs and is putting them together.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

That is so sad. The little ones get right under our skin. I'd look at rescues--it is possible to get a young pup from shelters and rescues.
I do think that it's really weird that a dog attacked young puppies. I would question the wisdom of breeding that dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page