RIP Prince - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy RIP Prince

Today I had to put down my best friend in the world. It hurts so much but he's no longer suffering. We found Prince when he was a puppy wandering a nearby hospital my grandpa worked at when I was two, I'm now 17. He was in awful shape and long story short, nobody now could've believed that he lived such a hard life when he was a pup. He has been my everything; my brother, my best friend, my bodyguard, my hero. He loved to go for walks in the park, swim in the creek, and his favorite treat in the world were Pupperoni dog sticks. I rode his back like a horse around the house and outside until I got too big to do so. He would walk me to the school bus and back up until I got my license just this year in high school. Occasionally he would actually come onto the bus and he would get a dog treat from the bus driver as well as pettings from other kids. A few months before we found him fifteen years ago, I was jumped on by our neighbor's three dogs and hurt. After he was brought into my life, I was never hurt again by these dogs who have now mellowed out. Three years ago when I was fourteen, two of my friends and I stayed home alone at my house while my grandparents were visiting friends and my mom was working. That night, somebody tried to break into our house. My friends and I were in my room playing loud music on the other side of the house so we had no idea that somebody was outside. Prince went beserk and started scratching at my door. I thought it was just his time to go for his nightly run so I ignored him for a few minutes. He ending up busting the front door down minutes later and went charging after something. We called the cops and when they arrived, they found that two of the screens on our back windows had been slashed through and one of the window frames had been pryed a quarter of the way up. Needless to say, they got away but I'd rather not think what could have happened if we hadn't had Prince. Last year, he was diagnosed with hip dysplasia and spinal disease. We tried everything from Rimadyl and Prednisone to Deramaxx and everything had failed. He had trouble getting in and out of the house and could barely get up without being in pain. This past week, we came to the painful conclusion that it was his time and that he should no longer suffer. I've gone through friends but my true friend has always been right beside me; he was my rock when I needed him most. Today was the hardest moment I've ever had to go through and it's tough to come to terms that he's no longer here physically but he can now cross the bridge, no longer in pain. Fly free, Prince, your body will no longer be your captive <3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2012-07-17_21-48-28_294.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	18979  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:24 AM

Sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how hard that is for you.
He soundedlike an amazing dog! He was a beautiful dog as well.

Rory 10.5yr GSD/Lab
Alexa 4yr GSD/Mal
R.I.P. Koda
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 01:26 AM
Master Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. How lucky you are to have had such a special dog in your life. I'm sure he knew how much he was loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 AM
Knighted Member

I have tears rolling down my face as I post this. I feel your pain. I have had to do this to many of my best friends like yours. How wonderful that one so young can understand how special some animals are. And what a wonderful tribute to such a wonderful dog. He will be waiting for you on the other side , in no pain.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 AM

My heart and soul died last year in September of a brain tumor and it was really sudden. I feel your pain. I did not want to have another dog after her either but only about 12 hours later my sister drop a lab puppy into my lap and he now has taken over my heart too- since then his sister who is a gsp. It leaves a whole in your heart.
I am so sorry for your loss

Casey-black/white lab/springer mix 060511
Chloe-GSP- 01/14/12
Cassie-GSD/Heeler mix 12/26/01-09/05/11 RIP You will be missed always, Mommy loves you baby,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Master Member

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like Prince was a great dog! Run free Prince
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Knighted Member

Sorry to hear of your loss...how lucky for both of you that Grandpa brought him home..what wonderful memories you will always have to cherish..
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Crowned Member

Prince .....Sorry for your loss He definitely sounded like a great dog

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Elite Member

So sorry for the loss of your best friend

Prince
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

What a touching testimony to a dog who sounds like everything a GSD should be. Glad he got to share your life; he will always be with you.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page