Missing my Athena.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Unhappy Missing my Athena..

Not sure if this goes here.. It's been about 2 months since my horrible situation with Athena happened. Brief background, she was Boerboel. I got her at 3 months old and she started having aggressive tendencies, due to my then financial situation and new work schedule that completely changed I wasn't able to give her the proper training and made the heart wrenching decision, you guys may remember the thread for advice, to give her back to the breeder who would work with her and rehome her with someone more capable than I with more time and money to give to her because God knows I had all the love in the world for that puppy. Well the breeder suspiciously put her down for a broken elbow shortly after I sent her back. Yep you read that right. and after arguments and my own investigation, I gave up and just accepted my baby wasn't rehomed and was infact gone. I have been really good about it and not really upset recently then for whatever reason today it just got to me, hit me like a ton of bricks.. What if I overreacted, what if I could have handled her and I made a huge mistake in sending her back that ultimately got her PTS. I know I will never be able to redo anything but I am just sad today and need encouraging words.. I miss my puppy..

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Master Member

You had the best of intentions and unselfishly put her needs ahead of your own.. You did the right thing. The breeder did not! You could not have forseen the outcome and you have to stop beating yourself up over it. Maybe the next time you could take on a rescue as I'm sure saving a life would be a great comfort to you.

I completely understand how bad you must feel and nothing anyone says will change it. You have to decide that you only wanted the best and accept it.

Jen Nyce

Airbrush Artist

Tazor Von Best GermanShepherdinTheWorld
`10 months
Pennsylvania

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Crowned Member

Tazor is right. You thought long and hard about what would be best for Athena, and even though it broke your heart you did best by her.

It takes a truly great person to be unselfish in the needs of their dog. I agree with Tazor that you need to accept that you did the correct thing, and the breeder simply didn't. I personally find your ability to make that decision very admirable.
I'm sorry that you're feeling so down about it. But again I agree with Tazor... Maybe your next dog could be a rescue and you might feel a little better?

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have definintely thought of rescuing! It makes me happy when I think about it. I am thinking rescuing from a Kill shelter. Not entirely sure yet as it will be in about a year or so before my situation changes and is stable enough for a second dog again.

And I know. I am really good about it, I have accepted it and know I was doing what's best. At least the majority of the time. I generally have no issues with telling people what happened or anything. For some strange reason it just hit me today, probably because I was going through pictures of her and Titan never a good idea when it's so close.. *sigh* thank you guys I appreciate the thoughts!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Elite Member

I agree with TaZor...don't be so hard on yourself.
Try to stay busy and do something nice for yourself today...you didn't do anything wrong.

- Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page