I think about him everyday - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

I think about him everyday

I think about my 10 year old GSD Moby everyday. He died of prostate cancer last august of 2011. I got him as a pup when I was 19. I was going away to college and wanted to bring a companion. Moby was an awesome college dog. Well socialized, friendly, loyal, intelligent, and a personality to boot.

We went everywhere together. People always knew that if I was coming over that meant Moby too. We grew up together. This is the first time in my adult life that we've been apart for an extended period of time. It hurts but there's nothing that can be done.

Everyone loved and adored Moby. People always gave me major credit for how smart and loyal he was. I never had him on a leash and trusted him completely and he seldom did not satisfy. But that was all him. He was just naturally awesome and made me look like a dog training genius. I loved him for that and always deferred the credit to him.

It really has been hard trying to adjust to his non-presence. I miss our routines. Just walking by myself from one place to another is depressing for me. But its getting better everyday too. I just miss him and still think about him every day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry for your loss, it's never easy

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

sorry for your loss

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Knighted Member

I completely sympathize with you. We are right around the two year mark of losing Remo and I have still not recovered. I not only think of him, many times each day, most days I still weep for him. There are very few days that I am distracted enough to not cry over him. I have never had anything hit me like this before. I honestly don't think I will ever be over this. I have two other dogs now, and while I love them, very much, I will never have the closeness with them that I had with him. He was as close to a soul mate as a dog can possibly be.

So, please know that there is someone else here who completely understands. It feels like my right arm is missing.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

So sorry for your loss.

Carolina Johnson

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I do appreciate it. I'm also sorry for your loss as well. Like you, the wife and I have another dog who was about 2 yrs old when Moby passed away. Shes a Yorkie and although she is an awesome dog in her own right she just doesn't own that spot in my heart just yet the way Moby did. Before Moby passed he showed our Yorkie the ropes and where her place in the pack was and to this day she's not a typical little yappy Yorkie. We thank Moby for that.

I have to admit to myself that he lived a great life and that although he's gone he'll never be forgotten. There are so many GSDs that live terrible, chained up miserable existences. Not Moby. He was loved, cared for and wanted. So I do find some solace in knowing that I made his existence as pleasant as I could while he did the one thing he was put on this earth for, be there for me.

I hope you can maybe find comfort in that too.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
AJT

Whoa. Totally understand how you feel. My chocolate lab passed away at 10 years old last February (2/9/2011) from prostate cancer too. I also got him when he was a puppy when I turned 18 and was going to college. I did everything with him -- hiking, car rides, you name it. He was my rock especially when a break up with an ex-bf happened. I completely understand. There are moments when I still tear up and am quite sensitive when certain friends of mine are a little careless with what they say (for example, I can't believe you are crying over a dog). Everytime I see a lab, specifically a chocolate lab, I get nostalgic and sad cause I miss him so much.

The one thing I was happy about is that towards the end I was working full-time and was able to financially afford all the care, vet visits, medication, and time that was needed to do take care of him without affecting his quality of life. I was a wreck trying to balance my selfishness of wanting him to stay with me and gauging how much pain he was in before making the decision. If I was in college and it had happened then...I probably would be in significant debt. I'm sure you did all that you could for him.

I spent a lot of time researching different breeds after deciding that I was ready for another one and recently decided to get a female GSD puppy. I avoided labs and any male dogs because I felt it would have made me subconciously want the new dog to be like my lab. So I now have a new love in my life but I will always never forget my first.

You are not alone!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I hate that when they ask why you're crying over a dog. They're family members. You'd cry if you lost a close relative so why wouldn't be the same for your dog or pet?

The biggest thing for me though, is now that my dog is gone I sometimes resent other people and their misbehaving dogs. Mine was so well mannered and if I had to I would intervene to correct any bad behavior. But other people let their dogs run around and yap yap yap and jump on you and I'm like, wow all this makes me miss my dog even more,
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM
AJT

I think people forget how much of a commitment of time, effort, and patience it takes to really get a well-adjusted, socialized, steady dog. You did your due diligence with Moby by making him a well behaved dog and if anything it is because of awesome dogs like Moby that makes people think "oh, i want one too!".

Think about how many cool experiences Moby has had versus those other dogs. I bet a lot of the dogs that you see that are misbehaving will never have the chance to chill out at an outdoor patio while you eat or have had so many compliments...you made Moby wordly!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Knighted Member

This upcoming anniversary of losing him must be difficult for you. I am sorry for your loss.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page