RIP Jackson - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

RIP Jackson

I am in shock. My loving boy, Jackson, collapsed late this afternoon and was pronounced dead at the emergency vet office.

He was asking to come in at the patio door, I told him to wait a minute and turned to make sure that Tanner was not in the room. I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and turned back to see Jackson slumped and starting what looked to me like a seizure. His legs were jerking and he was making a strange, rhythmic yelping sound. I called for my husband. He came in and tried to left him but couldn't get a grip. I think he was scared that he was hurting him.

I grabbed a blanket and draped it over Jackson, then my husband took Jack's front and I took the hind end and we carried him to the car. I think he was dead when we laid him in the car. He had pooped when we picked him up, but I know I saw his chest raising and falling. But I sat with him for the 7 minute ride to the vet ER and I never saw or felt his chest move again.

We called the vet once we were in the car, to let them know we are on our way with a critical dog, and they took him in right away. But he was already gone when we got there.

How could that happen so quickly? He had just played a game of fetch with my oldest son.

Jackson came to me as a 5 week old foster puppy, along with his litter-mate. He was only 8.5 years old. He was the best companion and was so easy to raise and train. He was just a good, good boy.

We are just devastated. The other dogs are very subdued. You can't tell me that they don't know that something has happened. We have had two door knocks since we got back, and nobody has barked. At all. It took me a while to realize it is because Jackson is gone. He was the one who would start the alert barking, and without him to start it the other dogs don't know what to do.

He was a good dog.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

Sheilah,

My stomach sank when I saw your post. There are no words except I am so sorry....
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Oh my gosh I am so so very sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Crowned Member

Sheilah, I am so incredibly sorry to hear about Jackson. I cant even imagine...

As for how it happened so quickly.... i dont even know. If it was hot out while he was playing and he got overheated.... its anyone's guess at this point.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Crowned Member

Oh Sheilah, I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Jackson. What a terrible shock.

Please take care of yourself.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry. It sounds so awful, and no idea what happened.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Elite Member

I am so sorry.... What a terrible shock

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for your loss.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Crowned Member

Oh my... I am so so sorry...

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, you guys. I just can't get over how quick it was. Minutes. Just minutes. I so want to think that he knew we were with him when he went.

I have posted this photo before. Jackson loved being a family companion, and his favorite thing to do was be with us. Here he is with my niece and nephew.

He was such a good dog. Never any behavioral issues. Steady as a rock. And healthy. He had a cast iron stomach.

The vet who worked on him said that there are a few things that could have caused this. I had commented to my husband just last week that Jackson was showing signs of slowing down, that earlier that evening we had been out for a walk and he got tired before I did. That and the apparent sudden collapse makes the vet think that they'll find signs of a tumor on/in the pericardial sack. That is what she thinks happened.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page