Euthanizing a healthy dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Euthanizing a healthy dog

Last week we came to the sad decision that we would have to euthanize Sasha. Sasha was a rescue I got from Alabama. It was an emotional decision, made just after my boy Riggs died, to rescue her based solely on her pictures. Although many people have made the same decision and it's been wonderful for them I personally will never do it again.

Sasha was extremely fear aggressive around strangers. When I first got her I tried taking her to classes to work on it but she just shut down completely. So we ditched the class thing and tried working with her one-on-one. We never could seem to make any progress. She just seemed to hate/fear strangers. Who knows what happened in her first year of life (she was estimated to be 9-12 months old when I got her from the shelter).

So, we decided to just give up and let her be what she was. She liked us and the other dogs so we thought that would be good enough for her.

Then she started jumping the fence and running away.

Again, I'm guessing it went back to something in her background. Why would a dog that had a great home, dog friends, people who loved her and awesome food (she LOVED her raw diet) - why would a dog with all that want to LEAVE?? I had a hard time understanding that and coming to grips with the fact that she would rather be off wandering than be with us.

It got to the point where even if we were in the field WITH her, she would jump the fence the moment your back was turned.

So she was only allowed outside on a tie out. While all the other dogs were running and playing in the field she had to sit and watch.

After many months of this I thought I'd give her a chance to run in the field with the pack. I brought her in and let her off leash and she started running and playing with the other dogs. Then she headed for the fence. I called to her just as she stood in front of the fence. She turned and looked at me and then turned back and jumped the fence.

While it made me mad that she would blow me off like that it wasn't the deciding factor.

The deciding factor was her issues with people. If someone found her before we could and tried to be nice and catch her, I have no doubt in my mind Sasha would have bitten them.

We cannot have a dog that will jeopardize the whole pack.

I did not feel comfortable putting her in rescue for several reasons - the main one being that she would be VERY hard to adopt out and would be taking a space that a "good" dog could use.

So, with a heavy heart I took her in and euthanized her.

The pack is actually a little calmer now. Sasha was being snarky towards the CC puppies and they were beginning to withdraw but now they are running and playing all over the place.

Being outside with the dogs is much nicer, too. We do not always have to be on our guard as to where Sasha is and we don't worry when people walk up and down the drive of the commercial nursery that runs along our east property line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for showing Sasha the love she so needed.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Knighted Member

These kinds of decisions are tough, but it sounds like you did the right thing for the dog. I'm sorry for your loss

Ash

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry for your loss We had to euthanize a beautiful 3.5 year old golden retriever because of FA, it kept getting worse. You did all you could as did we, sometimes there's just nothing you can do

Sasha is now at peace and you gave her a good life while she was with you and showed her the best that humans can be

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Master Member

I'm so sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision She is at peace now and will never have to deal with her demons again...

Brooke

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000

Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007

Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM

Sad. But you did your best to give her a loving home and a 2nd chance!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry, that you had to go through that agonizing decision. I'm sorry for your loss. Sasha had your love and care for the last part of her life and because of you, she did not have to pass alone and scared in a shelter.
My thoughts are with you. Once again I'm very sorry.

Gunny GSD & Zoey the Weasel
Sean M. Walsh K-9 Memorial Fund
our goal is to help police agencies establish and maintain a canine team in memory of Sean
Sean's Dogs.com
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned

I usually don't comment or read topics like that because most of the time they are too heartbreaking.

It's never easy to make that kind of decision and I know exactly what you mean with this:

Quote:
So, with a heavy heart I took her in and euthanized her.

The pack is actually a little calmer now. Sasha was being snarky towards the CC puppies and they were beginning to withdraw but now they are running and playing all over the place.

Being outside with the dogs is much nicer, too. We do not always have to be on our guard as to where Sasha is and we don't worry when people walk up and down the drive of the commercial nursery that runs along our east property line.
If there is a relieve going through the pack, it was the right decision for the pack. I don't think a lot of people, especially those that have not gone through it, will fully understand the impact one dog can have on a pack.

I'm not sure if I'd do it again, either. Especially when they are healthy it's so much harder and you will always question yourself if there is anything else you could have done.

Try not to be too hard on yourself.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Knighted Member

Very sad story, but you made a true, honest effort to save her. Sometimes dogs just aren't interested in living a domestic life, and are a threat to others... I couldn't make the decision, so I admire your strength in this.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes....the hardest decisions are made from the strongest part of one's heart.....
What is best...is most likely not...what is easiest.

Best wishes...I know how hard it is.
Robin

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page