Gus, didn't even get to see your first Birthday.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Gus, didn't even get to see your first Birthday..

As per rescue policy, his momma had to have him neutered very young... He died during surgery. He was the lucky one she was going to keep.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ng-born-6.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Poor Gus. My condolences to the furparent.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Master Member

poor baby. my condolences too.

Diana - owned by Siena Rose (Oct 29, 2006)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Elite Member

Ahhh poor baby so sad wasn't he WAY WAY to young to be fixed? I would not be cofterbul fixing a pup under 6 months. to fur and non fur parents. RIP lil GUS!

~Christen
REBEL~PIT BULL
BATISTA~SHAR PEI
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Master Member

That is too young to be neutered. My friend adopted a GSD mix from a shelter and the on site vet said he puts "testicles not yet descended" to delay the neuter to 6-8 months. Every now and then you run into someone that knows what the right thing to do is and knows the system is wrong (btw, she took him in at 7 months for his neuter). I am so sorry the system failed this puppy!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

Poor puppy! RIP Gus.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Master Member

oh my gosh. thats so sad. He was beautiful!!!!!

~ Leigh ~
Volunteer Coordinator
Southeast German Shepherd Rescue

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Crowned Member

Aww what a sweet pup he was, so sorry he is gone. It happens sometimes whether the pup is 8 weeks or 8 months.

Anesthesia for anything is always a risk - an adult dog could die during a dental even.

Michelle

IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Its nice that rescues try and save these lives and prevent overpopulation...but that's just plain unnecessary...sign a contract...offer free spay at the proper age....that young??? That's just going to mess up mental development of any normal dog in general...welcome back to death row...if you HAVE to do it young...6 mo...at least...this is truly depressing...

its sad that someone who KNOWS what that does to dogs would do that
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asche-zu-Staub View Post
Its nice that rescues try and save these lives and prevent overpopulation...but that's just plain unnecessary...sign a contract...offer free spay at the proper age....that young??? That's just going to mess up mental development of any normal dog in general...welcome back to death row...if you HAVE to do it young...6 mo...at least...this is truly depressing...

its sad that someone who KNOWS what that does to dogs would do that
Problem is that rescues and shelters know exactly what they are doing with this policy, and know it's worth the risk on the front end with the spay/neuter for a puppy. Because these are EXACTLY the same people putting down happy and healthy older puppies and adult dogs because there are just not enough homes in the USA for all the unresponsible breeding that takes place.

I know they take the risk of some puppies having problems with the surgery, cause it's sure to mean THAT dog isn't the proud mom/dad of possibly dozens of future irresponsible breedings and to be added to the current over population of pets in the USA.

If all the pet owners in the USA were responsible and millions of unwanted dogs (happy and healthy for many of them) weren't having to be killed every year as it is, then the decisions shelters and rescues have to make would be more flexible.

Just because many of us ARE responsible and able to keep our dogs intact to get older before spay/neuter......... this clearly is NOT what is going on for too many others.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page