In Loving Memory: Orion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

In Loving Memory: Orion

Another wonderful boy, one of my favorite fosters, crossed the Bridge on Dec. 21.

Orion owes his life to this Board. He was posted August 1, 2008, he was out of time at the overcrowded Trenton, NJ shelter. This is his original thread

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=6#Post757254

and his shelter photo

Orion (named after the contellation "The Hunter" by the son of the volunteer who picked him up at the shelter) had the most wonderful temperament. He was also the most neglected and dirty dog we have ever seen. From waist down he was covered with feces caked in into his matted coat (including the tail) and his rear end was soaked with urine that was dripping as he walked. While his foster mom soaked his rear end with warm water to dissolve the feces (mixed with urin), hundreds and hundreds of maggots started crawling out of the coat as they were drowning in the water as they were washed away in the sink. His foster mom cleaned him up and cut most of the mats. Even after a two hour soaking and bath, which he thoroughly enjoyed, he smelled so badly that he needed another bath at the vet.

He was taken to the vet to be neutered and it was discovered that he had one retained testicle which required major surgery. However, during the surgery they discovered a mass in his abdomen. They removed a 2 lbs tumor that was of the size of a large coke bottle. The mass that was removed from his abdomen turned out to be a fatty tumor surrounded by some tissue that tried to enclose it. The great news was that the tumor was benign and Orion made a full recovery.

Initially, it was touch-and-go after he returned home from the hospital. He had a footlong incision on his abdomen and he lost a lot of blood. his gums were pale and he was very weak and wobbly first. He quickly discovered toys and the donut and the cuz were his favorites. He wanted to chase the cuz even when he was very weak after the surgery. This is one of the happy photos with the cuz - his entire tummy was shaved naked during the surgery.

He regained his strength within a few weeks and his cheerful, happy personality soon showed. His favorite activity was to try to steal the cuz ball from the other dog's mouth (as opposed to playing with his own cuz ball), which the other dogs did not appreciate.

He was a gorgeous boy

...and he never got tired of playing

Orion went into a wonderful home and was adored by his mom and his GSD sister Annie. This is from the e-mail we got from his mom.

"It is with a heavy heart that I tell you, I had to have Orion euthanized on Monday 12/21/09. I drove him to his doctor during the blizzard on Saturday because he had been throwing up all night and was having great difficulty walking Saturday morning due to what appeared to be pain. He had been having trouble passing his stools for approx. two days (despite giving him apples and pumpkin) and I thought he was in pain from constipation. When I got him to my doctor he had a fever of 105. My doctor sent me to the emergency hospital, as they were closing early due to the snow, and he didn't know what doctors would be able to get in that day. The hospital initially thought he had pancreatitis and were treating him with IV fluids and plasma. After two days of showing no improvement (other than the temperature had gone back to normal), and enduring many test, they said the only way they could know for certain what was going on was to do exploratory surgery. An ultrasound had shown an enlarged pancreas but they didn't know for sure if it was inflamation from infection or if it was a mass. I couldn't let him go on the way he was, so agreed to the surgery. The surgeon called me from the the OR to tell me that he had a huge mass on his pancreas and they were 99% sure it was cancer, there was an oncologist on site as well. I decided to let him go at that time to take him out of his pain. Annie and I had a very difficult Christmas, as he already had gifts under the tree. He was such a joy, and I consider myself so blessed to have been a part of that wonderful creatures life even though for only a very short time. He brought SO MUCH HAPPINESS to us and made me laugh like no other dog has. I want you to know that no dog could have been more loved, and thank God every day that he chose us for his forever home. He had a wonderful Christmas last year with us and got to go on what I'm guessing was his first vacation. He had a great time at the cabin we rented in the Shenandoah Mountains in VA and got to swim in the Shenandoah River with his best pal Annie for a whole week !
He will be truly missed !
Thank you for bringing such joy to our lives with what you do every day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Elite Member

Re: In Loving Memory: Orion

*hugs*

We too, lost a dog the 19th. It was very hard, exp on my children. My daughter still cries for him almost ever day.

RIP, Orion. Be at peace!

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Master Member

RIP Orion

What a lovely story and I am glad he had such a loving home.

Chico-GSD-10/13/2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Master Member

I'm deeply sorry. Run free in Heaven Orion, no more pain anymore sweet baby.

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

Handsome man.

I have to say I am glad I don't go to the rescue threads. If I had seen him....being 10 minutes from Trenton.....they'd all be living with us!

THANK YOU for saving him and for giving him a good life!!

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Crowned Member

What a wonderful story and how lucky for all involved in this wonderful boy's life..

RIP.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you, I am going to copy this page and send it to his mom. We are all devastated, it was so sudden and his good life was way too short. He was very much spoiled in the past year and he deserved it after the hard beginnings. I am pretty sure that he lived out most of his life in a small kennel run that was never cleaned.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Knighted Member

What a gorgeous boy. It is a shame that he did not get to enjoy the best years of his life much longer.

Please pass my heartfelt condolences along to the kind folks that adopted him.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Elite Member

I understand her pain at losing a beloved dog too early...my thoughts and prayers are with Orion's family. I am so glad he was able to enjoy life with a family.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Elite Member

What a stunning boy who has hope and trust and character in his eyes even before he was rescued by you. He really blossomed, and perhaps had his first real experience with being loved in the very last part of his life. He is handsome, inside and out and I am in awe
of you and his wonderful mom for saving him and giving him that love, and giving him a place to put all that love he'd been saving up.

My heart goes out to you and his mom. I wish her courage and peace.

Jennifer

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page