Do you ever feel guilty...... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Do you ever feel guilty......

That you couldn't give your heart dog a little bit better life?

As my investments in my new business start to pay off, and it starts to carry itself, edging us closer to financial stability, I find myself wishing Maxie could be part of this. Maxie would have loved my new life, the Southwind, some stability, and the like. We had zero stability when she was alive, housesitting for new people every few months, we traveled nostop, it got so when we moved into a new house, she would wait until I threw our blanket into our sleeping spot, and she knew it was our new temporary home.I feel good that I can give the girls a good home, and I am hoping in the next year or so, to buy a nice house for us, so they can live out their years in comfort. It was my dream for Maxie, to build a house for her to live out the rest of her life in, but it never happened that way. Dogs, the ways they mess with us, eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Master Member

Re: Do you ever feel guilty......

Growing up my family lived check to check, so there wasn't much extra for the dog. Princess was my heart dog. Sometimes when I think about how well Alexa is cared for, and how she gets the best I can afford for her, I feel guilty. Princess never got the best of anything unfortunately, there just wasn't the money. I think that she was happy to be with me though, no matter what kind of food she had to eat, or toys to play with.

~Stephanie

Alexa (04/25/09)

Princess (GSD/Pit Rescue) October 1996-September 2004
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Elite Member

I'm going to venture a guess here that as long as Maxie was with you she was very happy. Like kids, dogs are very adaptable and from what I've seen and heard of GSD's they are happiest with their owner. My own dogs seem to reflect this, too.

However, I do understand how you feel because I wish SO BAD that I could move from where we live now into the country and give them a gi-normous yard - what they have now is a lot like running around on a postage stamp I'm way past extremely limited to where I can take them to let them romp free and get some real exercise and that hurts me a lot. We just want to give them a good, safe life and sometimes what they get just doesn't match what we *want* to give.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Crowned Member

I think Maxie was just happy to be with you. As long as she had her blanket to sleep on and food in her belly and love from you, she was happy. Thankfully dogs don't play keep up with the Jones'!

One day you will have a house instead of an RV. I love my house but soemtimes I wish for the life you have too. You can pick up and check out soemthing else and give your dogs a new adventure instead of the same yard to play in and the same parks to walk in.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I agree with Kathy, Maxie was happy to be with you. Like some people, change IS normal and they thrive on new experiences and places.

If you give them your heart could they really want more?

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

What is normal?

Maxie loved YOU Richard. And you moved around alot. Waiting to see were you threw the blanket down doesn't sound sad to me. It sounds like "Ok, Dad is happy with this spot so everybody grab some floor!"

There are a lot of dogs in the world living in big fancy houses, eating the best of food. But still, one thing is missing... there is no love. They are just another Fixture. And when they don't match the furniture or the life style of the owner changes, they are tossed aside like last years fashion. Only to wind up in a shelter.

I wonder how many times one of those dogs have looked out from their fancy homes at you and your happy crew in the Southwind and sighed longingly for such a life full of love.

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Knighted Member

Richard-followed your posts a long time.please don't try to think for your well loved dogs. They ARE happy.they live with you -you interact with them!I am sure you would go hungry before you would let them be hungry.They are warm and have a safe place.Dogs do NOT live in a material world they thrive in a safe world.Getting a little dark and cold for you-making you think a little too much.Get over it give them a belly scritch and sleep tight knowing its NOT how much you do its HOW you do it-PEACE to you and dogs
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Crowned Member

Very well said ttalldog!

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks. I take what you all say to heart. Maxie did love life, and we loved and cherished each other. I will keep that close to me.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Knighted Member

I've felt guilty over the years for a number of things with regard to our dogs - I think that's part of what it is to be human. Since we can't go back and change anything however, I have also learned that what you have to do is to tell yourself you did the best you could for them. They don't care where you live, what you do, how many times you are on the road. All that matters is that they are with YOU, and you love each other. I think if beautiful Maxie were here, and could talk, she would tell you not to feel bad about, or regret, anything, because she herself was so obviously fulfilled and happy. If only people were so content with the simple things......

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page