German Shepherds Forum banner

Goodbye, my wonderful Trick - the best girl ever

4K views 43 replies 43 participants last post by  natalie559 
#1 ·
Yesterday I lost another part of my heart - my wonderful Trick, as close to perfect as a dog can get, made her last journey off of this mortal world and into the arms of angels. I stroked her beautiful gray face as she closed her eyes and told her over and over "you are such a good girl .. I love you, Trick" while choking back tears so that she could pass peacefully without feeling my overwhelming sorrow.

Trick, you gave me 13 1/2 wonderful years - my best friend, my most trusted friend, the one dog in my life who always chose me over everything else. It wasn't just training, it was the incredible bond we had. You taught me how to listen to what a dog says instead of forcing a dog to comply, and it made me into a much better trainer. You were my first "primarily positive" dog and I'm still in awe of the bond that grows through that trust - a bond that you shared with me. Along the way you taught me how to toss the treats so that they landed right at your feet, and you taught me how to throw a frisbee straight and true. And in our many travels - one a road trip of 10,000 miles - you earned numerous ribbons and titles. But those ribbons and titles pale next to what was truly important - the love, warmth, trust and companionship of a perfect dog.

I miss you so much. My heart aches incredibly, and the tears keep flowing with each memory. But along with the pain comes a feeling of relief, that you are no longer in pain and confusion. May your legs now bear you boldly and strongly, your eyes deep brown and full of life, and tongue lolling over strong white teeth in that special grin that only a GSD can have. Please greet those who left before you - Dawson and Kylee, your friends and mentors; Fireweed, who taught you that horses can be a lot of fun, especially on a long ride; and Raven, who showed you that cats and dogs CAN be great friends.

I will always miss that adorable cowlick that ran down the middle of your nose .. it was one of the first things I noticed in your puppy video that was sent weeks before I actually saw you, and which proved so obviously that you WERE the same puppy when I picked you up. I stroked that cowlick while you laid on the blanket, waiting for the vet, and thought back to the first time we met. You were a spunky, feisty, bossy little thing and came right to me with a bark that said "so THERE you are .. I've been waiting forever!". I'm so glad you waited for me and that we found each other. We were a perfect pair.

I will miss the way you would come to me and lay your chin on my leg, gazing up at me with those deep, loving, trusting eyes. I can only hope that you felt the love flowing from me as much as I felt it from you. Goodbye, my sweet friend, and please wait for me - and tell the others that I'll be there when I can.

RIP Trick (Hawks Hunt's Tricky Saxon AKC/CKC/ASCA CD, AKC RE NAP NJP, CGC, HIC)

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

See less See more
#4 ·
Melanie, that is one of the most beautiful tributes I have ever read. Obviously a very special dog and very special relationship. I know your heart is breaking, but as you said, there is some comfort in knowing that she's out of pain and is with those who went before her. I am so sorry...

Run free and healthy, sweet girl...

#5 ·
I am so very sorry for your loss. I feel your pain and can only hope that you can find some comfort in the many memories you have of times you spent together.

#8 ·
I am so sorry for your loss and the pain your feeling now, my heart is breaking for you, you wrote such a wonderful tribute to your girl, I found it hard to hold back tears while I read it. Rest in Peace dear sweet Trick.

#12 ·
Melanie, I am so sorry. What a beautiful tribute. I couldn't get past this without tears rolling down my face.

Originally Posted By: IliamnasQuestYesterday I lost another part of my heart - my wonderful Trick, as close to perfect as a dog can get, made her last journey off of this mortal world and into the arms of angels. I stroked her beautiful gray face as she closed her eyes and told her over and over "you are such a good girl .. I love you, Trick" while choking back tears so that she could pass peacefully without feeling my overwhelming sorrow.

#13 ·
I'm so sorry Melanie.

#15 ·
Melanie I am so sorry for your loss, the ultimate pain sacrifice that must be paid for the wonderful company and experiences of having these dogs in your life. I hope that some of the wonderful advice and tips you've shared here were partially learned from your journey with Trick so that you may have passed some of him to the many of us here who have benefitted from those tips.

Trick. Run free

#16 ·
Oh, Melanie;

How sad, but how wonderful too that you have known such a dog. I wish Trick could have lived forever on this earth, but at least she lives forever in your heart.

Run, Free dear Trick.

#18 ·
I'm so sorry Trick is gone. I know the pain is unbearable right now but soon you will remember all of her happy little things she did on a daily basis. One day it will make you smile as you remember her with love.

#21 ·
Oh, no. I was afraid that was your Trick Melanie, I couldn't think of any other dog with the same name on the board.
I'm so sorry - she sounds amazing.

#24 ·
Melanie, I am soooo very sorry,,hugs to you :((

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.