October 4th, a very sad day - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

October 4th, a very sad day

On October 4th 2004 we lost Cassidy at a few months past her 4th birthday after a lengthy battle with discospondylitis. On October 4th 2008 we lost Dena at 3 weeks past her 4th birthday. She had lymphoma and a whole host of complications.

Cassidy was a mess from the get-go, but she was our mess and we loved her. Structurally not so great, weak nerves, highly leash reactive, but good with other dogs off leash, and she loved people. A HUGE training challenge as a youngster, I have to credit her with everything I know about dog training today. Not that I'm an expert or anything, but at the time I knew almost nothing, since Sneaker was a very easy dog. Cassidy was, um....NOT! I was going to learn to control her or die trying, and took numerous classes with her, read tons of books, and joined this site.

Losing her was so hard. Even when we knew we had lost the battle with her disease it seemed impossible to just let her go, but we had to.

Cassidy 6/8/00 - 10/4/04

After Cassidy we were without a dog for 5 endless weeks. The house was so quiet and empty without her. But we put a deposit down on Dena, our first longcoat, which I had wanted for years, and then waited until she was old enough to come home with us. It was love at first sight. She was simply adorable and as sweet as she could be. And as difficult as Cassidy had been, Dena was easy, such an easy puppy, happy and loving. She was not a destructive chewer like Cassidy, she did not have a reactive bone in her body, she was just perfect. Because I never wanted to lose our only dog again, a year later we got Keefer. She was perfect with him too, simply delighted to have a little brother to play with.

Dena got sick on her 4th birthday, her appetite was off and she seemed mopey. That was a Friday, and over the weekend we had more trouble getting her to eat, and I became increasingly worried, so I took her in on Monday. That was the beginning of the nightmare, the daily visits to the vet to try and diagnose the problem, to bring down her temperature and her liver values, to get food and fluids into her, to try and prevent her body from destroying her red blood cells, to no avail. She died at home in the early morning hours of October 4th, the exact same day we put Cassidy to sleep 4 years earlier. It wasn't until we got the path reports after she was gone that we knew about the lymphoma, she'd had no symptoms of it at all. We will always miss her.

Dena 9/12/04 - 10/4/08

They both loved tennis balls and water. Wherever they are, I hope there's plenty of both. Keefer turned 4 years old on August 25th. Yesterday was October 4th. Sometimes he's a PITA, but I'm happy to say that he's still here with us.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Crowned Member

Re: October 4th, a very sad day

Wow,it's strange how certain days can bring bad things.Aug 2 was a bad day for years for our family,then around March 21 was horrid also except for the birth of my daughter.The day she was born my Cousin lost her little boy in an accident then the following year my Uncle died on the 21st. Mom said if another year went by like that Tiff was to change her birthday.. The bad luck broke that year.

Sorry for your loss on this day.Hopefully Keefer will break the bad day,day...

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Crowned Member

I remember when you lost Cassidy, but I vividly remember when Dena left you. It was shocking, to say the least - and heartbreaking to all of us. I too hope they have lots of water to play in and tons of tennis balls to chase.

Both such beautiful girls...

I'm very glad this October 4 passed without incidence, Debbie...

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Crowned Member

Wow....what a horrable day this has been for you IN THE PAST. I'm hoping yesterday was uneventful and I'm so sorry to know of your losses.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

We have a friend who lost his wife 20 yrs ago Halloween. It is always a hard holiday for him.
wow, that is just unreal that you lost 2 of your beloved dogs on same date. Oct 4th mst be hard day for you
They were both so beautiful.
**oh my I just realised they were also both 4. So young to lose them!

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Knighted Member

It's never easy to lose a great dog is it. I know many can empathize with you here too....but losing 2 on the same day 4 years apart is so sad......
It's just not long enough to have them.

I pray that there are tennis balls galore and a huge swimming pool fo them and people who love nothing more than to throw the balls for the wet sloppy tongued fluffernuts ready to catch another and another

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

My friend, there ARE lots of tennis balls and lots of water. Our young ones play together and wait for us.

I'm sorry today is so difficult for you.

I've learned to remind myself that the measure of life is not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away. Dena and Cassidy had so many breathtaking moments. Too short, of course. They were robbed, and no mere words can ever undo the pain that has wrought. But oh, they did so much living done in such a short time. You and Tom give your dogs the best life any can possibly have.

Halo and Keefer carry on that rich tradition, which they deserve simply by being themselves.

Please give them both kisses from their friends up north.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

Wow! Our greatest sympathy! It is a very hard thing to lose a trusted companion!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

Even though I was not yet a member of the board when you lost Cassidy, I vividly remember when Dena left you. It was shocking, to say the least - and heartbreaking to ALL of us. I too hope they have lots of water to play in and tons of tennis balls to chase. They knew that you and we all loved them and they will forever be in our hearts.

Both such beautiful girls...

I'm very glad this October 4 passed without incidence.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Wow, on the same day! I'm so sorry, it must be so hard.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page