We lost Timber - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

We lost Timber

10 1/2 months old is too early to lose a companion to the horrible disease called chronic renal failure. Timber lost his fight last Thursday, only a month after being diagnosed. We did everything we could think of. We even took him to Portland to be hooked up to their CRRT (continuous renal replacement treatment). It's like dialysis. But his kidney was just too damaged. We discussed taking him to one of the veterinary colleges for surgery, but even then the prognosis was not good. We decided to bring him home and spend his last couple of days telling him how much we love him and how much joy, love, happiness and laughter he brought to our lives.

I just wanted you to know a little bit about the puppy I knew and loved. He came to us as a big, chubby, ball of fur with the hugest feet I've ever seen and instantly hit it off with his big sisters (Sasha - 11yrs and Ally - 8yrs - both GSDs also). He was a stinker. There isn't a piece of furniture or doorframe in this house that doesn't have teeth marks. He chewed up my cell phone, the cordless phone, the remotes, you name it. I always knew when he had something he wasn't supposed to have, because he'd run by me as fast as he could. He knew he was being bad.

Everyone he met instantly fell in love with him, even people he didn't meet in person, but watched him grow up through my pictures on flickr. His huge dangling tongue, his one floppy ear that never stood, his huge feet, his long tail. Everything about him was endearing. If you look up joy in the dictionary, it should have his picture.

He was the funniest dog I ever met and quite literally, made me laugh out loud every single day. Whether it be the way he tilted his head back and forth with his tongue hanging out the side or just the silly expressions on his face. He loved for me to put his Kong on his head. He'd hold still, staring up at it for a few seconds, flip it off his head and catch it. Then drop it in my lap to do it again and again. He played chase and catch the ball every single day and could never get enough. When he got his first bath, he thought it was so cool. That night, at 1:00 am mind you, I wake up to a "thump, thump, thump, thump". He's in the bathroom, jumping in and out of the tub with a huge grin on his face. He was quite pleased with himself.

He followed me everywhere, even in the middle of the night. If I got up, he'd instantly pop up, yawn, stretch and sleepily follow me. Even curling up under the bathroom sink if that's where I was going.

He was known by many names: Timber, Timbo, Timberoo, Timbuktoo, the Timbernator, Monkey, Monkeyboy, Monk Monk and pretty much came to all of them. He loved his kiddy pool on hot days.

He was just something special in so many ways and it's so wrong that he was taken this way. I've spent the majority of the last 4 days crying hysterically. Everywhere I look in this house, reminds me of him and I can't believe he's gone. It's so unfair. I can't sleep, I can't eat and most of the time I can't breathe. This has hit me to my core. I couldn't have loved him anymore if I'd given birth to him myself. He was my child, my friend, my protector, my little comedian and I will never get over his loss.

If you haven't given up on me and have read this whole thing, thank you. Thank you for letting me tell his story so you'd know who he really was. He was more and deserved more then this horrible disease.

~~Cindy

Sasha - Black and tan female (02/12/98)
Ally - Sable female (08/29/01)
Kellan von dem Waldkonig - Bi-color male (10/02/09)
Timber - (10/14/08 - 08/27/09) We will always love you! Thank you for choosing us.
Spencer (RIP sweet boy)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

Re: We lost Timber

Here is his thread from the health section-there is an adorable picture of him-showing exactly what she describes-he made me smile just seeing him.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...page=0&fpart=1

I am really sorry. That doesn't express it well enough. Just a puppy boy, so sweet...heartbreaking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

I'm sooo sorry! He sounds like a wonderful pup who will be with you always!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

I am so very sorry for your pain and your loss. RIP Timber. What a great tribute you wrote.

~Lynn~
Dante v. Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz, BH (HOT)
Laos v. Hnxer Wald
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry for your loss & pain.

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

Oh Cindy - I am so sorry... Not only for you and your family, but for this precious boy who was far too young to leave.

What a beautiful tribute you wrote to Timber...

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Elite Member

Oh.....my heart goes out to you. I'm crying just reading about him. What a special dog he was and what great memories you have. But I know that doesn't take the place of having him with you.....

CAMP PAPPY
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

I was so hoping he'd be able to pull thru. Kidney failure is very hard to go thru and I'm sorry Timber and your family had to go thru it.

I'm sorry.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Tbarrios333

Oh my.... I'm SO sorry! Poor little guy.
I'm so sorry you have to go through losing your baby, it's so sad
RIP sweet, silly Timber.

Owned by Nini and McKinley.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page