In loving memory: Mickey - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

In loving memory: Mickey

Mickey came into my life towards the end of 2004. He was posted on this board as a senior, a MAS (Memphis Animal Shelter) dog.
This is his shelter photo:

Mickey was emaciated and heartworm positive, of course. I treated him for heartworm and he quickly recovered and gained weight.

These are some of his later photos

As he was recovering, I discovered that Mickey had serious fear-aggression issues and it was obvious that he was badly abused. He was beaten by hand with a leash and a stick, he was reactive to all of these. He lived with a trainer for two months and he participated in countless obedience classes (with a muzzle). Nothing helped the fear aggression and he decided that he is perfectly happy staying with me forever.

He was a happy, crazy boy. He adored eating and chasing the ball.
If he was a senior, it did not show, he could spend hours chasing the ball. Mickey was very destructive and chewed like a beaver, he was quite a challenge in many ways. The way to his heart was food. A friend of mine turned into his best friend after feeding him 8 burgers (in one sitting and he did not get sick, I found out about it after the fact). He was very sweet and friendly with the people he knew, but was never good with strangers handling him. He loved riding in the car, on the front seat next to me and did many rescue transports. Mickey fostered quite a few girls and he liked cats too. He was the happiest guy with the sweetest smile. He was the only dog that could carry two cuz balls in his mouth at the same time (I wish I had a photo of that). He always had a cuz in his mouth, when he drank water, he dropped the cuz into the water bowl.

Mickey left me suddenly 10 days ago. He was chasing the ball as usual during the week, Saturday afternoon he refused to eat (which does not happen with Mickey), he was not his cheerful self on Sunday and he stopped breathing curled up in the front seat next to me, on the way to the vet, on Monday morning. The vet felt that it was probably a ruptured tumor.

I don't know how old Mickey was, he spent 4.5 happy. crazy years with me. I can still see him running after the cuz in the yard. I hope there are many cuz balls for you at the Bridge, my crazy boy. I miss you, you left too, soon, way too soon after BoBo. I am sure BoBo will show you the ropes and I hope the two of you will be good about sharing the cuz. Run free sweet boy, see you at the Bridge one day...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy
Re: In loving memory: Mickey

I am sorry to hear of Mickey's passing. It sounds like he had a wonderful, fulfilled life with you. R.I.P sweet Mickey.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Elite Member

Mickey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Knighted Member

What an incredible tribute to this wonderful boy. Tears roll down cheeks as I read it and your love for him shines through with every word. Such a lucky boy to have such wonderful years of love with you. Blessings to you and your family and prayers of comfort as you grieve.

Run free handsome,

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Nothing helped the fear aggression and he decided that he is perfectly happy staying with me forever.
A friend of mine who is a trainer is convinced, beyond a doubt, that they decide where they want to be. He was obviously happiest with you and he decided you were his forever person. You've had a tough couple of months. I'm so sorry...

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

Rebel,

I am so sorry for your loss. How devestating to lose another so close to Bobo.

It really sounds like he had a wonderful life. Thanks for taking him in. May you take comfort in the memories of all of the joyful times you shared.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Mickey. He was well loved and thank you for taking him in and showing him what real love was, what being part of a family was like. May you take comfort in knowing that he is in a place where he has to show no fear, where he will always be with you, loved, and never forgotten.
May you rest in Peace Mickey

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Mickey passed and so soon after Bobo.

What a beautiful tribute to a special boy. Thank you for giving him a happy home full of cuzs and illicit burgers. After his beginning, he certainly deserved every minute of happiness that he found with you and it sounds like he gave so much back in his helpfulness and companionship.

Thank you for giving a dog a chance by meeting him where he was and helping him be what he could be, just as you have so many others. RIP Mickey.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. He sounded like such a wonderful dog and that he loved you so very much. Many thanks for providing him with the best years of his life.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you all for the kind words. Mickey was special in many ways.
I agree Kris, sometimes they just decide where they want to live and Mickey was perfectly happy with me - he had no intention of going anywhere.

I found one of his early pictures I really like. The smile is not there yet, but his eyes were so gorgeous...

I don't know which one is harder, losing them suddenly, like BoBo and Mickey, or watching them fade away slowly over years. I was unprepared for this loss. I wish I had the chance of watching them slow down as they grow old and taking care of them.

I wish I knew how old Mickey was. He certainly was not slowing down, I wonder whether it was his emotional mindset that kept him so active.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page