Chopper - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Chopper

We had to have my son's Beloved Pit Bull, Chopper put down this afternoon. He was only 5 !/2. He was neutered last Tuesday because is is a law in our city that all Pits be neutered. Chopper was fine until Friday evening when he began hemorrhaging. We rushed him to the emergency clinic where it was discovered that he has type B hemophilia.
They gave him a blood transfusion and we had hoped he would get better, but at 11 am today the vet said there was no hope and if we did not have him put down he would bleed out. My husband, son and I went. My son was so brave in front of the dog. I have had to have a pet put down before and it is very hard, but this was the hardest thing to witness my son going through this. If only i had known there is a test that could be done before surgery to see if an animal has clotting problems, I would have insisted. It is not enough to trust our vets, because even the best are just human. The vet is just part of a team to take care of our pets but we are a big part of the team too. We have a responsibility to be informed and I was not until too late. We spent $2000 and it would have been worth every cent if we could have saved him

My son got Chopper for his 18th birthday when I was very ill with cancer and the dog has truly been his best friend. He took off in his car and will not answer his phone and is not with his friends. I am sure he just wants time alone but I am worried about him,

How can I best comfort him? I ask what I can do and he just looked at me and said nothing.

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Master Member

Re: Chopper

Oh, dear, I am so sorry.
This is tragic. You all did the right thing by getting him neutered -- law or no law. I don't know how to tell you to comfort your son except just to let him know you know how hard this is for him. He will get through it. It's so hard, but somehow we all do.

Spending more than a few hours a day in a forum is unhealthy and makes people mean
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry, your poor son must be miserable.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

Some times kids are never too big for a comforting hug from their mom. If he wants to talk when he gets back then let him.

What helps some people is to put together a memorial tribute of their dog's life with them, it helps them remember the good times.

I am sorry for your son's pain, life really sucks some times.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Master Member

I'm so sorry. The vet I used to work at required a blood panel done before all speuter surgeries...I don't know if that would detect that though, probably not. I always try to tell people, vet's are only human and all humans make mistakes...though I don't know in this case if it could've been prevented. Getting animals altered is a very intelligent move, but like all surgeries, there are risks, obviously. Your son just needs time...there are many stages people go through when losing a loved one. Acceptance will come soon. Keep your head up, and be strong now for the both of you.

Devin-

The cat's have profiles too, look in her family.
Tiny One Mewer (Tom)-Chartreux 4/3/01
Nico-DSH Tabby 4/13/08
Shai-DMH Torti Tabby 8/26/08
Rescues.
PLEASE ALTER YOUR PETS!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Crowned Member

What a shock for all of you. You have my deepest sympathy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Knighted Member

<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'> </span> I am so sorry for your loss, and I hope your son gets over things soon. He will always have memories of his beloved companion.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry. That just really sucks.

I think your son will be o.k. Like you said, he probably needs some alone time. Spays and neuters are so commonplace you just don't expect to lose a pet to one. I think that makes it tougher.

Joan
Mom to:
Kitchi Spitz Mix
Sasha: Dutchie
Fizban: BGSD Rescued 7/11/08
Louie: Fluffy Fat Kitty
Bob: Loud Siamese
Tasselhoff: Blk & White Tuxedo
Pugsley Tank Butt: Tabby Tuxedo

George RIP (5/16/07)
Yukon RIP (11/23/09)
Squeek: Fat head kitty RIP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry about Chopper. He was such a young dog, such a tragedy. I hope your son is doing well after losing his best friend. My condolences to you, your son and your family.

Rest in Peace Chopper!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page