With a heavy heart I post this...... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

With a heavy heart I post this......

It's been a while since I've actively been on here, and I didn't think my first post in over a month would be in this section. Our boy we rescued just 4 months ago has passed. He was the senior, King, dumped off by his "keeper" in Union County, SC after 10 years of owning him. There is a thread about him in the "recues and where are they now." He was neglected his entire life, he had never seen the inside of a house, was grossly underweight, had severe arthritis that was left untreated and resulted in extreme muscle atrophy,.....but worse than any of that, he was never treated with love and kindness.

It breaks my heart to know that the majority of his life was spent in misey. He celebrated his 11th birthday...which really isn't that old. But, I suppose from being so neglected his body was that of a much older dog.

In just the 4 short months he was with us, he was able to add so much to all of our lives. He was so goofy and entertained us all with his antics. Things were a bit rough at first. We had to deal with some food aggression and some other bad habits. I dare someone to tell me you can't teach an old dog new tricks. He had come such a long way....it's amazing what a little love and patience will do.This dog is a true testimony of how much our furry companions love us even though they have been hurt terribly in the past.

I know he was happy, yet I still feel horribly guilty about his passing. I knew something was off, but I had no idea this was it. In the last couple of weeks he was very clingy. No matter what I was doing he wanted to be right there. If I was outside with the kids he wanted to be out with us laying near by.

He went missing several days ago. We searched for him, checked with neighbors, called the pound....we did everything. We live on nearly 80 acres, so my husband got one of the horses and went looking for him. He found him on monday. I can hardly even type anymore because the tears are clouding my vision. He had laid down and made his walk accross the bridge. It absolutely breaks my heart that he died out there alone, but I respect the fact that it is exactly the way he wanted it. I think he knew he was at the end, and he spent his last moments by our sides to let us know he loved us. Perhaps he went off to spare my children the pain of seeing a beloved family member die..... I don't know, only he knew.

We chose a beautiful spot to bury him. There is a magnificent dogwood tree that he loved to lay under, and we knew that would be the perfect place. I have ordered a memorial plaque to be placed there in his name.

I just want to say thank you to all who helped this boy along the way, and for all of the support I had after he came home to us. I know he appreciated it too.

To my King Keller, thank you for being you. Thank you for showing everyone that giving an old dog a chance is worth it. You have enriched my life more than I ever thought possible. You will not be forgotten.

Emily
The Rescue Crew
Diesel 14 wks Blk GSD
Bentley 14 wks Sable GSD
Tasha 2, Shih Tzu
Oskar 3, Sable GSD
Jake 4, Sable GSD
Allie 10, Bi Co GSD
Keller, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

Re: With a heavy heart I post this......

RIP dear boy.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Crowned Member

I found his thread: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD

I am very sorry, but so thankful he had a loving home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Banned

I am so sorry for your loss. But thank-you for showing King what a loving home is like. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 AM

God Bless you for all that you did for this noble boy!!!! King was sure a lucky boy to have spent his last days so Loved and happy with you....You definately made up for all he went through in his life!!!! RIP KING

Onyx Vom Ramhausen

Zelenka Vom Ramhausen

Arild Andrej Vom Onyxhaus

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Master Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, but thank you so much for taking in a senior.

Dawn S

The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting HOLY S%*T what a ride!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Very sorry for your loss.

Carolina Johnson

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 AM

You did a good thing helping him his last few months. He had a chance to live and die with some dignity and respect. It sounds like he was very grateful for that. I'm very sorry for your loss.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page