Did the hardest thing yesterday........ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Did the hardest thing yesterday........

But now I am really glad I did it. When my friend, Gary, and I laid my GSD Heidi to rest back on October 29, after she died from exposure from falling through thin ice, I had been on my 30th hour without sleep, I was exhausted, and Heidi, after being in the water for many hours, plus rigor mortis, was really stiff, and with the ground being frozen, it was a haphazard burial at best. I had no intentions of returning, but last week with the onset of summer weather, I tangled with the thought of going back and doing it right. I did not really want to see her again, but I just could not get it out of my mind either. But in the last couple days, with the temps climbing into the low 70s, I knew decay would start to set in, so I knew I had to do it. I went alone, I thought it would be best. It was a tough walk, no snow, marsh where it was solid before, but soon I was in the thicket where I knew we buried her. I was not sure what I would find, I had hoped in the back of my mind she would be gone, taken away by some predator, but then I saw the telltale mound. I had intended to simply dig a new deeper grave and just pull her blanket shrouded body out of the old grave and lower her into the new one and cover her back over. But, eventually, my resolve got the best of me, and I had to look, just one more time. I gingerly pulled the blanket back, and there she was. My big, sweet chubby Heidi. With winter just ending, decay had not set in, she still smelled like Heidi, was soft and pliable just like Heidi. I longed for her to wake up, and follow me back out of the woods, back home, be Miss Messy like she was, lay on her back, and hog the couch, do the things that used to irritate, or make me laugh. I lay with her there under the warm sun, hugging her for a long time, then I bound her up in the blanket, and buried her there. Then whispering goodbye one final time, I left quietly the way I came. I feel a bit sad today, but I feel so relieved and happy that I went back. Godspeed Miss Heidi. I love you girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Did the hardest thing yesterday........

Heidi.
Wow,I am sitting here in tears for you.I don't think I could ever do that.I would want to,but I don't know I would be able to.I am glad you were able to lay her to rest,now hopefully you can be at peace with her death.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Crowned Member

That was an extremely brave thing that you did. I hope this will help you find the closure you were looking.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

well that's a wonderful and brave thing for you to do for her richard. as always, many blessings.

rest in peace dear heidi-girl.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Oh my goodness! I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw the title...and now I have tears in my eyes! Bless you for being such a loving person and definately Godspeed sweet Heidi!

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Knighted Member

Wow, tears flow as I read your post. What a brave and wonderfully loving thing you did for your sweet girl.

I remember like it was yesterday when you lost sweet Heidi, the pain of her loss. I am so glad that you were able to give this lovely girl the proper burial you so wanted.

She was so lucky to be loved by such a good man.

Run free sweet Heidi, knowing with every step how very much you are loved.

Sharon, Mom to
SAR GSD's
Lexi CGC (Cert. area search)
Neko CGC (Cert. HRD)
Justice CGC (trailing),
BOLO, Bloodhound CGC(trailing)
Titan, Shilo Shepherd (beginning area search)
Kibby(Rodie mix)
Lil Bear and Izzy and Louie(Pom's)
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Crowned Member

Richard I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face. The way you described it, I could see my self in your place and how I would feel if it were one of my pups.
God bless you for being such a wonderful caring soul.
Rest in peace sweet Miss Hiedi, until you meet again.

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Knighted Member

Oh Richard,

I can not imagine the emotions that you had to deal with today. I know that like you, I would have had to go back for peace of mind and like you I would have had to see her one more time. I hope that you have found peace knowing now that she has had a proper burial and you have had a chance to say your final good-bye.

Rest in Peace Heidi

Amy
GSD Rescue of East TN

Liesel adopted 2/7/04
Judy rescued 1/16/05, foster failure
Trelkez owner surrender 9/27/07, foster failure

In loving memory of Jasmine 2/2/95-11/24/03, she has left this world but she will never leave my heart.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Knighted Member

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Knighted Member

I am not sure what to say. This is both so sad, and yet I am happy you got some peace and closure from this. I also believe Heidi's spirit was with you.

RIP Heidi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page