Bravo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Bravo

As many of you will have seen from the Health Forum, Bravo passed away on Sunday April 26th, after a short but savage battle with hermangiosarcoma.

We adopted Bravo at 12 months from the Northern Utah GSD Rescue, although more accurately it should be said he adopted us; we saw 5 dogs that day but he was the one that both of us were drawn to. He had problems they told us; peed in the house; he stole food; he climbed on furniture; he was an escape artist. We steeled ourselves but went ahead anyway. We got him home and guess what - he sat nicely by the door when he need to go potty; he went for one cookie, was told no and never stole food again; he put one paw on the sofa, was told no and never climbed on furniture without our OK and as for an escape artist - pleeeeeze! he was velcro - we couldn't have got rid of him if we tried!!

He was an ambassador for his breed. Everywhere he went he wowed people and they fell in love with him (apart from the child molester, but he got just what he deserved!). He loved kids and they loved him. You're a toddler he's never met before - no worries, he'll let you hang onto his ruff and support you as you investigate and he'll guide you away from the sharp corners. You're a strange baby in stroller being threatened by a bull terrier? it's OK, Bravo will just invite the bully to move along and then hang out by the baby until he decides everything is cool.

Wheelchair bound? not a problem, he would just find an extremity with feeling and rub himself against you (and then gently lick away the tears running down your face). Old or imfirm, again, not a problem, he'll just lie there and let you pet on him anyway you can.

He was a softie with all humans, except those that meant harm, in which case he was everything that we want from our dogs (IMHO). Never out of control but always fierce enough to discourage would be troublemakers (100lbs of angry Black GSD tends to do that!)

He wouldn't stand for bullying at the dog park. I don't know if he realised that it was dads job to maintain the rules and monitor the dog interactions or if it was just his nature, but he wouldn't allow a timid dog to be picked on or for any "pack attacks" to get going. He was way better at spotting the snarky dogs than I ever was!

He was only 7 years old went he went and that's just wrong; there were more lakes to be swum in, more kids to be played with, more troubled people to calm and more hugs to be had from mum and dad.

Bravo, my big boy.

Success is never final;
Failure is never fatal;
Don't let your fears choose your destiny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Bravo

What a beautiful tribute to Bravo... It's apparent that he was a match made in heaven with your family. I had to smile when you were describing his "bad" behavior and then when you got him home he was a perfect angel. I have a friend who believes, with all her heart, that they sometimes behave poorly intentionally. It's because they have not yet arrived at where they want to be. Once they have found their forever home, the bad behavior stops. She says it much more beautifully than I described it, but...I guess what she would say is that Bravo knew where he wanted to be and that was with you, even though your time together was too short.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how much it hurts and what a huge hole they leave in your heart.

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
DnP
Elite Member

What a touching tribute to a wonderful, and obviously, very much missed friend/family member.

Wiping away the tears that slid down while reading it and now while trying to type.

And furry angel just got his wings....

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Crowned Member

The relationship that you and Bravo shared was clearly one for the ages. I was privileged to witness such love at the end.

There is little I can say to help you deal with such a tremendous loss. Only know that to some extent, I understand how deeply your heart has been broken. You are not alone, but remain in our thoughts.

I hope that your wonderful memories -- in time -- bring you some measure of joy. I do hope that the realization that you did everything you possibly could for this beautiful soul ( he was beautiful both inside and out) brings you peace.

Take care.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Crowned Member

What a great tribute to Bravo. Thank you so much for sharing a little story about his life with you.

RIP Bravo.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry for your loss of Bravo. He sounds like he was such a special dog. And it sounds like he had a great life with you. Rest in peace, Bravo.

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you for sharing your time with Bravo. What a wonderful tribute to him. Thank you for giving him such a wonderful life while you had him. RIP Sweet boy

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Quote: He was an ambassador for his breed. Everywhere he went he wowed people and they fell in love with him

I'm so sorry for your loss of Bravo. I had the pleasure of meeting Bravo at Jacksonville's Dog Wood Park's breed day for German shepherds, and feel what you said is absolutely right. There were so many GSDs there, but people seemed to flock to him, including myself. He was gorgeous, and a very good boy with a great personality. I pet him, threw a ball in the lake a few times, and left, always loving black GSDs after that.

RIP Bravo, you are a good boy!

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

Thanks so much for sharing a bit about Bravo. Your tribute brought tears to my eyes. He sounds like he was an absolute gem of a dog and I'm so sorry that you lost him so early. You're right, it really isn't fair.

I hope you will take comfort in the memories of all of the wonderful times you shared.

Take good care,

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Elite Member

My eyes are full of tears. Bless you for adopting Bravo. What a wonderful time together. Life with our dog is never long enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page