My heart dog, Scrappy (non GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

My heart dog, Scrappy (non GSD)

As many of you know, my heart dog Scrappy has been battling cancer for quite some time. She had surgery two weeks ago to yet again remove a cancerous mammary tumor, but the cancer had spread into her lungs quite sometime ago. In the past two days she has taken a turn for the worse. I am taking her to the vet first thing in the morning for fluids and whatever else my vet can do for her. He told me though that if the fluids did not perk her up, that we were traveling down the road to the bridge. This is much harder than I expected and I can't begin to express the grief that I am feeling. Please pray for her- whether it be that she feels better or that she is without pain. I will not make her suffer, but will give her one last fighting chance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Crowned Member

Re: My heart dog, Scrappy (non GSD)

I will pray for her to feel better and that you two can spend more time together. A lifetime is not enough with such a special little dog. That has to be one of the most adorable faces I've ever seen.

I will be thinking of you both and hoping that this is just a little setback for your dear Scrappy. Sending you both lots of hugs...

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

She is very beautiful--soulful little face, full of wisdom and kindness. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Sadly, I know from recent experience how hard it is.

She will be in my prayers as will you. I have no doubt that when she does travel to the bridge, she will leave you many gifts. I learned from my Lucy to cherish every moment, never pass up a chance to give a belly rub, or stop and smell the salt in the air, or to enjoy a simple meal. I live differently now because of what she taught me in her last days.

Remember--cancer doesn't take their spirit or the love. Those remain--perhaps not as we knew them, but they remain to help us carry on.

My best to you and your little Scrappy.

Jennifer

Jennifer

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

Scrappy is such a cutie. I understand what you're going through and hope that you enjoy whatever remaining time with Scrappy. I also understand how hard it is to let go.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry for her and for you. I hope that they can help her. She looks like such a sweet and pretty girl. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 9-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Crowned Member

I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I will be thinking of you guys. I know what you are going through, I lost my heart dog Ginger to cancer in October and my terrier Pooch to lung cancer last summer.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I am crying as I type this so it may be loaded with errors. I took her to my vet this morning and he thought she was a lot worse than when he operated two weeks ago. He thinks that she will progressively get worse, which I can't even imagine because she is in such bad shape. I fed her before leaving (canned food mixed with water) and she ate most of it and then just basically fell onto her back with her legs stiff in the air. I don't think it can be worse than that. I asked him what is causing her to do that and he said it could be air restriction which makes her pass out. I don't know but it makes me cry. He's going to give her fluids and steroids to make her comfortable, but he doesn't think the prognosis is good at all. He thinks the cancer has continued to spread in her lungs. I'm hoping for just a couple more days with her- that she's comfortable. I know that's selfish. I know it is. I am so partly crushed because when he operated on her he thought she looked really good and said she might make it another six months. That was only two weeks ago. I just wasn't prepared for this. Please pray for us. I feel like I can barely function.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Scrappy is one lucky dog to be loved so much.

Good thoughts and prayers coming your way.

Proud Owner to

Stella 5 year old GSD/Collie
Echo 4.5 year old GSD/Rottie
Cyrus 4 year old GSD
Quinn 2 year old Yellow head parrot
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

I'm so very sorry for what you are going through, but please stay strong for her, you need to have a clear head and make the best decision for HER. My prayers are with you.

Carolina Johnson

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Crowned Member

Thinking of you both this morning. I'm so sorry... I know you'll make the right decision for your sweet girl and I know it will rip your heart out when you do. Been there... Be strong and try to have fun with her, regardless of whether you have hours or days together. That's the hardest part - not letting them know how upset you are. Prayers coming your way...

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page