German Shepherds Forum banner

My heart dog, Scrappy (non GSD)

3K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  Ilovealldogs 
#1 ·
As many of you know, my heart dog Scrappy has been battling cancer for quite some time. She had surgery two weeks ago to yet again remove a cancerous mammary tumor, but the cancer had spread into her lungs quite sometime ago. In the past two days she has taken a turn for the worse. I am taking her to the vet first thing in the morning for fluids and whatever else my vet can do for her. He told me though that if the fluids did not perk her up, that we were traveling down the road to the bridge. This is much harder than I expected and I can't begin to express the grief that I am feeling. Please pray for her- whether it be that she feels better or that she is without pain. I will not make her suffer, but will give her one last fighting chance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I will pray for her to feel better and that you two can spend more time together. A lifetime is not enough with such a special little dog. That has to be one of the most adorable faces I've ever seen.

I will be thinking of you both and hoping that this is just a little setback for your dear Scrappy. Sending you both lots of hugs...

#3 ·
She is very beautiful--soulful little face, full of wisdom and kindness. I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Sadly, I know from recent experience how hard it is.

She will be in my prayers as will you. I have no doubt that when she does travel to the bridge, she will leave you many gifts. I learned from my Lucy to cherish every moment, never pass up a chance to give a belly rub, or stop and smell the salt in the air, or to enjoy a simple meal. I live differently now because of what she taught me in her last days.

Remember--cancer doesn't take their spirit or the love. Those remain--perhaps not as we knew them, but they remain to help us carry on.

My best to you and your little Scrappy.

Jennifer

#7 ·
I am crying as I type this so it may be loaded with errors. I took her to my vet this morning and he thought she was a lot worse than when he operated two weeks ago. He thinks that she will progressively get worse, which I can't even imagine because she is in such bad shape. I fed her before leaving (canned food mixed with water) and she ate most of it and then just basically fell onto her back with her legs stiff in the air. I don't think it can be worse than that. I asked him what is causing her to do that and he said it could be air restriction which makes her pass out. I don't know but it makes me cry. He's going to give her fluids and steroids to make her comfortable, but he doesn't think the prognosis is good at all. He thinks the cancer has continued to spread in her lungs. I'm hoping for just a couple more days with her- that she's comfortable. I know that's selfish. I know it is. I am so partly crushed because when he operated on her he thought she looked really good and said she might make it another six months. That was only two weeks ago. I just wasn't prepared for this. Please pray for us. I feel like I can barely function.

#10 ·
Thinking of you both this morning. I'm so sorry... I know you'll make the right decision for your sweet girl and I know it will rip your heart out when you do. Been there... Be strong and try to have fun with her, regardless of whether you have hours or days together. That's the hardest part - not letting them know how upset you are. Prayers coming your way...

#11 ·
Awww, I am sorry that this is the case for you and Scrappy. It is hard to go from thinking you have a dog in one condition, and then that changes-so quickly. Is he going to do chest x-rays? That would, I am sure, help you in making that decision (I hate that decision). Please take care.

#12 ·
Thanks for all your prayers. Please continue them as today has been an absolute miserable day for me and a so-so day for Scrappy. She came back from the vet's after subcutaneous fluids a round of pain meds. Her breathing is pretty good and her appetite is better. She has been able to stand a lot more than she had been, but it's still only a matter of time. I will probably do another chest xray to confirm, but I think we're just making her comfortable right now. This has been one of the hardest and saddest days of my entire life. The only joy I had today was that she is still here and not in pain (at least she doesn't seem to be) and that my other pets are keeping her company while I'm at work. My foster momma cat is about to explode and I felt the kitties moving in her belly. Those were the only good points about my day. I have been preparing myself for this time for months and it hasn't helped at all. This has hit me like a ton of bricks and I cannot express the pain that I am going to feel when she passes. I used to think that it was easier when you know they're sick versus a sudden (surprise) death, but now I am beginning to wonder. I don't think it matters as both are difficult and sad.

#14 ·
I wish we could live with our hearts emotions unplugged at will.
However the pain and force of impending loss is the flip side of our love.
Jennifer-Prayers for strength to do what you can for your beloved Scrappy
and peace to rest when you can.

Scrappy is beautiful.

#17 ·
Jennifer,

I am so sorry just know she is in no more pain running around
and watching over you and Chloe!

Scrappy

how is Chloe handling it?

#18 ·
I'm very sorry for your loss Jennifer.

#19 ·
Jen, I am so sorry to hear about Scrappy. You are in my prayers, both of you. I know you were hoping for a little more time, especially since the vet was more optomistic earlier. Please remember the good times, and the joy and happy days you both had. She is not in pain anymore, and will be waiting for you at the bridge. She put up a great fight, and you did all you could for her. She loved you and the wonderful life you gave her. Please call me if you want to talk or need anything.

Scrappy

#20 ·
Jennifer,
I am so sorry... I will never forget her adorable face. Take care of yourself and know that your sweet girl is running free and healthy.

#21 ·
Jennifer, I am so very sorry. All that love, tenderness, spoiling, Scrappy had all she ever could want from such a wonderful, caring Mom. Wishing you some comfort during such a painful time. RIP sweet Scrappy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.