I found a puppy need some advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I found a puppy need some advice

My current GSD is about 15 months old. I joke that I would love to have another GSD but I'm not ready for a second dog. I found yesterday what looks like 5-6 month old puppy. I put up signs and called the shelter which is closed. I'll see if she is chipped. She looks like a pit bull mix maybe.....we found her yesterday so far she is very sweet. Anyway I have her crated out in the garage to keep the two dogs separate. She really doesn't like being alone she barks a lot.

Apex is dog friendly. I have no doubt he would play well with her. We are working on reactivity so I really try to keep his doggy play next to none.

Apex is also intact. I see no spay scar on her belly. She is a submissive puppy not to the point of pee she seems just a soft dog not scared. I know it takes time for there little personalities to come thru.

I think my guess is good on age...but I don't know when females usually get their first heat.

While I am trying to find this puppy's home. I'm just wondering if I should try moving her crate in the house? Try crate and rotate?

I feel bad hearing her bark. My gut says she would stop in the house.

I live in a rural area a dirt road one way in one way out. She has to belong to someone I think she looks healthy. I hate to think someone dumped her....I can't see myself surrendering her to a rescue.

I should have kept my mouth shut on wanting a 2nd dog.....

Any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yay owners found and she is a year old. Hm never would have guessed she acts like a puppy.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:21 AM
Crowned Member

Thank you for holding on to her instead of sending to a shelter.
wolfy dog and Mame like this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for that. I know I could handle another dog but just not something I would choose to do intentionally at this point. Sometimes life has a way of choosing for you. If that's the case I'd open our home to her. She would be well loved even if I want to pull my hair out lol.

I have an off feeling that I wont be 100% confident in giving her back. If anyone shows I know it's a holiday and all. The call I got was weird and they said they would come get her in 30 minutes. 4 hours later I call back and get another story...no one has picked her up. The person who called actually gave the pup to someone else. She is growing on me quickly lol. Hope she is loved so far she is sweet dog. It won't be easy handing her over to people I feel oddly about.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:51 AM
Crowned Member

Make sure they correctly identify her over the phone. Ask for paperwork to proof that it is their dog. You may have to call animal control or a shelter to prevent legal trouble.
unfortunatefoster likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:18 AM

I agree with Wolfy, paperwork and if you feel its needed animal shelter could be a good idea,
make sure she is for sure their dog and is being taken care of well, watch how she reacts to them if/when they pick her up, maybe ask for photos of the dog that they had taken, see how she looks in the photos and such. Make sure they really want her back, some people just don't care about their dogs and are almost unemotional or subconsciously happy when they run off. If they seem weird and keep putting off getting her, keep saying they will come and such, just tell them that you can keep the dog, you have experience with dogs and can "take her off their hands" or something, if they are the type of people that kinda don't want the dog back, they could jump at the chance of easily giving it up like that. I usually don't like to think some people could do that but unfortunately there are many. Weather or not you keep her if they just leave her with you, at least you would find a really good rescue to rehome her and you know that she ended up in a good place and forever home.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I put up just found dog and number they described her and her collar correctly.

I did think about the whole take her off your hands thing. It's a big commitment from me and peoples egos often get into the way. I do like her this far.....

I've worked really hard with my current GSD. I see some differences between her and my current dog. Good and workable for better. She is pretty people disengaged she does love my kids and tonight showed more playful personality had no interest in leaving. I still have a fair amount of work to do with my current dog.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

If they decide to surrender her to you, ask for a written and signed consent. If they tell the police that you have their dog without permission, you can be charged with 'theft of property', which is a felony. I learned that the best way is to bring her to a shelter and be the first on her adoption list so you will be the legal owner. This is a process of only 3 to 5 days. There was a case in OR a few years ago where the legal owner decided he wanted the dog back after a year or so and it was an endless legal battle with the dog returned to the first owner.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

Years ago I was pulling away from my house and almost hit a purebred Elkhound running frantically towards the very busy highway 2 blocks away. I got him in the car and got a leash on him. No collar, no ear tattoo, chips were rare then.
I contacted AC and advised that I had him but declined to turn him over to them.
I put up posters and ran adds fully expecting that the owner would appear promptly, purebred dog and all.

I had him for over a month, named him Storm. Located a breeder tattoo on his flank but could not locate the breeder. Then my phone rang. Snotty rude man informed me that I had his dog. I told him I needed proof of ownership and questioned the delay. He first informed me that he had been in Mexico and that if I wanted proof of ownership he would need to dig through old paperwork. When I questioned who had been taking care of the dog in his absence and if he had been informed of the dogs disappearance, he advised that yes he had been told but he was on vacation and apparently I had been taking care of the dog so no big deal. Then he made me angry with, " bottom line it lady. What's it going to cost to get him back?"
I very coldly informed him to provide proof of ownership and he could have the dog. Never heard from him again.

Ask for proof of ownership, they may not be able to provide it.
Aly, wolfy dog and Mame like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Elite Member

Sounds kind of familiar. I found my GSD, Tessa, as a one-year old (roughly) stray running in the National Forest. I posted signs, called the shelter, and knocked on neighbor's doors in the area.

A lady called me back and said it was her dog and she'd come by and get her. She never did and when I called her again she said her dog had come back home. So the dog I had wasn't hers. Sounded fishy.

Anyway, Tessa was an incredible dog and I never regretted adopting her. I had ten wonderful years with her.

Sometimes things just happen for the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page