Lost or stray German shepard Mobile Alabama - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Lost or stray German shepard Mobile Alabama

Hi, new here yall! any who, A German shepherd and another dog have been wandering my neighborhood for the past week. sadly they were harassing my neighbors cats and the unknown dog was shot. Hurricane Nate hit my area last night and another of my neighbors kept him over night. He wondered up to my front porch this morning and I've been playing with him and my old beagle all day. im going to take him to the vet in the morning to see if he's chipped. if I cant find his owners im going to try my best to keep him. hes not a pup but hes not old id say a year to two. hoping for some opinions on what to do next, Thanks!
NerdicEclipse likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:23 AM

Thank you for taking care of him and doing the right thing to see if you can find his family. If you can't, I'd still post an ad anywhere I could for a week or two minimum with some great photos of him. He may have a family that loves him who is searching high and low. But if you can't find anyone, personally I'd say take him in yourself if you can do it, and if you can't, please reach out here for folks in the region that may know of a good rescue.

Torden
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Crowned Member

Here's what I do for found dogs:
1. Ad in the local newspaper for 5 days (yes, "old school" classified ads--older people are more likely to see them than online ads, and they count as "legal" notice of a found dog most places). Many newspapers run found dog ads free of charge.

2. Post on Craigslist & the "Lost Pets of (your town/county/parish)" Facebook page (for the young 'uns who no longer read the newspaper).

3. Flyers in the neighborhood--color copies with a photo of the dog, posted all over the neighborhood, esp. at intersections, in rural areas at mailbox pods, and in local businesses (including vet offices, as they may know the dog). If rain is coming, you can put them in plastic page sleeves (opening down, stapled across the bottom, so rain doesn't go in). (If people are still in shelters after the storm, be sure flyers get to the shelters too, as the owners could have been displaced by the storm.)

4. Take the dog out walking when people are out in the neighborhood after work, and on weekends, and talk to everyone: "Have you ever seen this dog in the neighborhood? Have you seen anyone looking for a lost dog?"

5. Notice to the local shelter with a photo, in case the owner looks there. If it's a good no-kill shelter, I'd even consider leaving the dog there for the statutory hold period, with notice that you will adopt it if the owner doesn't come -- that gets you a "clean" title of ownership to the dog in most places, so it's really "your" dog.

Doing all of the above has resulted in me getting most the dogs I've found home, and I'm someone who stops for loose dogs. If someone's looking, they'll see one of these forms of notice.

I would definitely check with your local Animal Control agency about what your responsibilities are for finding the owner. It varies by location. Some places have no requirements, others require newspaper ads, and a few require the dog to be brought to the shelter.

Last edited by Magwart; 10-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

ok, ill do a few of those. animal control was driving around the neighborhood this morning on my way to the vet, i stopped them and asked if anyone has reported one missing but the man said there hasn't been, he also said if he's not chipped i should keep him aha. The vet checked for a chip and said there was not one, followed by a congratulations. ill post in the news paper and an ad on craigs list but im weary of adding a picture in the case of a false owner if that makes sense. i feel if someone was missing him, when they contacted me through either ad they would be able to tell me something specific about his markings so i know he's really theirs.
i was partially nervous how he'd react to my 9 chickens but that quickly vanished.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Elite Member

Oh. At first I thought you said your 9 chickens quickly vanished
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Oh. At first I thought you said your 9 chickens quickly vanished

There are a number of local Facebook groups in my area that post pictures of lost pets, which people living in the area where the animal was lost or found quickly re-post. I got my own dog back this way within hours of her going missing, when a wind storm blew open the gate to the backyard.

Most of them are affiliated with the local Humane Society, so do a search for their Facebook page/pages.

The return rate with these groups is very high, and it's very satisfying to see the owners report "Dog (or cat) safely BACK HOME!"
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:39 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdc1421 View Post
ok, ill do a few of those. animal control was driving around the neighborhood this morning on my way to the vet, i stopped them and asked if anyone has reported one missing but the man said there hasn't been, he also said if he's not chipped i should keep him aha. The vet checked for a chip and said there was not one, followed by a congratulations. ill post in the news paper and an ad on craigs list but im weary of adding a picture in the case of a false owner if that makes sense. i feel if someone was missing him, when they contacted me through either ad they would be able to tell me something specific about his markings so i know he's really theirs.
i was partially nervous how he'd react to my 9 chickens but that quickly vanished.
I do all the adverts that were listed and notify police, shelters, etc..but I usually just say found dog, especially when it is a purebred. For the reason you stated.
Aly likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:54 PM
Aly
Master Member

I agree with your initial impulse, OP. I wouldn't post pictures in advertisements either. Owners should have pictures themselves or, failing that, be able to describe the dog to you. Last thing you want if for the dog to fall into the wrong hands.

Aly
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 01:34 PM
Elite Member

Couldn't you kind of tell that it wasn't really their dog? By its behavior on seeing them I mean.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Couldn't you kind of tell that it wasn't really their dog? By its behavior on seeing them I mean.
Yup. I've also used collar collar (not pictured), white spots on chest (not pictured), and odd behavior quirks as things to ask the owner to tell me about. One GSD found running in traffic that we temporarily sheltered was a nut with a garden hose, barking and biting at the hose stream in a kooky way -- I asked the owner if how she reacted to water running and got an "OMG, here's what she does..." answer. It's pretty easy to tell when it's right: the dog goes bonkers when it hears the right car pull up in the driveway and loses its mind with joy when it sees the owner.

You can also do what shelters do: ask for proof of ownership (which can mean anything from vet records that state the breed, pictures of the same dog on their phone, purchase or adoption papers, and on and on). You can sometimes also confirm by FB-stalking or IG-stalking them if their profile is public, as dog owners nearly always have pics of their dog posted there.

I've never had even the most remote sense of doubt returning a dog. They knew their person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page