Lost or stray German shepard Mobile Alabama - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Elite Member

I love it when dogs loose their mind with joy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

Yup, I've had shelter workers say they rely more on the dog saying "That's my human!" than the human saying "That's my dog!"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Here's what I do for found dogs:
1. Ad in the local newspaper for 5 days (yes, "old school" classified ads--older people are more likely to see them than online ads, and they count as "legal" notice of a found dog most places). Many newspapers run found dog ads free of charge.

2. Post on Craigslist & the "Lost Pets of (your town/county/parish)" Facebook page (for the young 'uns who no longer read the newspaper).

3. Flyers in the neighborhood--color copies with a photo of the dog, posted all over the neighborhood, esp. at intersections, in rural areas at mailbox pods, and in local businesses (including vet offices, as they may know the dog). If rain is coming, you can put them in plastic page sleeves (opening down, stapled across the bottom, so rain doesn't go in). (If people are still in shelters after the storm, be sure flyers get to the shelters too, as the owners could have been displaced by the storm.)

4. Take the dog out walking when people are out in the neighborhood after work, and on weekends, and talk to everyone: "Have you ever seen this dog in the neighborhood? Have you seen anyone looking for a lost dog?"

5. Notice to the local shelter with a photo, in case the owner looks there. If it's a good no-kill shelter, I'd even consider leaving the dog there for the statutory hold period, with notice that you will adopt it if the owner doesn't come -- that gets you a "clean" title of ownership to the dog in most places, so it's really "your" dog.

Doing all of the above has resulted in me getting most the dogs I've found home, and I'm someone who stops for loose dogs. If someone's looking, they'll see one of these forms of notice.

I would definitely check with your local Animal Control agency about what your responsibilities are for finding the owner. It varies by location. Some places have no requirements, others require newspaper ads, and a few require the dog to be brought to the shelter.
Someone dumped a GSD on us back at my farm. Said "isn't this your dog" and walked away. It was not our dog. He was the same color as my female but outweighed her by about 40lbs. Nice enough dog. I did pretty much everything Magwart said above. He lived on my porch for a day or two. Finally animal control called me back after I had called them to see if anyone was looking for him. His owners had called A.C., and A.C. gave me their #, so I was able to return him. He lived down the road where I actually thought he lived-- I had driven down there and honked at their gate but they did not come out or weren't home.

So finally he got home safe. I got kind of a lot of creepy emails on Craigslist trying to claim him or take him prior to finding the real owners. Be careful with those weirdos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page