Found Male German Shepherd - Wayne County, MI - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
I wouldn't post a picture if you put up signs, have the people be able to describe the GSD they lost, color, sex, collar or no collar, color of collar, etc..
I should avoid including pictures on the local signs I post? I'm not sure if it would help to locate him.

I posted in a Facebook group with all pictures.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

I trust you all on what to put, as I've never handled anything like this.

"Found on Friday 4/14 - Bicolor Male German Shepherd in Grosse Pointe

Currently held at Grosse Pointe Animal Clinic

Must prove ownership upon visiting

(Included Pics)"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 04:45 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

If someone is looking for him then a simple German Shepherd found will have them calling you. To be able to know it IS his real owner(s), they identify him. This is to keep people who see him, think he looks nice and then call and say 'that's my dog'. You might be surprised at how many will do this. German Shepherds can be expensive, some see it as a way to get a free one. Then how do you prove he isn't their dog? Since you said he was fairly friendly, I would just play it safe. JMHO
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Then how do you prove he isn't their dog?
Even at a public animal shelter they'll usually ask for something to demonstrate ownership. Common ways of doing it are through the owner's pictures of the dog (often cell phone pics), vet records (which list breed and weight, at least), or even breeder purchase records. I've also known shelter staff to use social media -- true owners tend to post a lot of pics of their pets on their page. It's fair to be very, very skeptical of someone who has no documentary records of ownership, and no pictures of a dog anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

True, just when I ran a rescue it was easy and fast to have them describe the dog and not have to deal with proving ownership.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

The pics are already out there (on FB, etc.), so holding them pack from fliers isn't going to keep the liars from using them -- and there definitely are liars out there, esp. for intact dogs (I'm with you on that).
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

Then there should be other identifiers, like anything he is trained to do. The words they used. If he likes certain types of rewards or objects. I wouldn't even say toys. Does he have any skills they can test?
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

You'd think the dog would be the test, how the dog reacts when the actual owner is present. I still am amazed that no one has come forward to claim this dog. He looks well bred.
gsdluvr likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

I will get these fliers out in my neighborhood tomorrow. I'm shocked that no one has come forward as well. I want to get him home, I'm sure he misses his family and he is greatly missed too.

I'm planning to keep it simple, not include a description or photos.

Should I post my number on the fliers to filter the calls/texts, or just the vet of where he's located?
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Crowned Member

vet where he is located, you can keep in touch with the vet for updates. If you have this on a fb page, can you share the link so I can share it too? I know a few in that area that may be able to network to find the owner.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
vet where he is located, you can keep in touch with the vet for updates. If you have this on a fb page, can you share the link so I can share it too? I know a few in that area that may be able to network to find the owner.
Thank you all for your help so far with this.

Yes, absolutely. The Facebook page I posted to is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/germ...92473640327371

If some some reason that doesn't work, it's under the Facebook Group 'German Shepherd Owners'. It was posted around 4:00 PM EST today.

I'll keep you all updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page