Stolen gsd puppy, bc canada - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
By suggesting that people should keep their dogs inside when they are gone, we are encouraging sympathy away from the dog owners, which is blaming the victim. I am pretty shocked that so many people are in sympathy with the thieves -- that is mind-boggling to me.

Most of the time I get what you want to say, but this time, you've really lost me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

Im sure everybody has does somthing that they had considered not the wisest of choices and if they walked away unscathed its only because the timing of it all. When somthing awful happens that person usually does not need anymore lessons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 04:20 AM

Hindsight is 20/20, but seriously you can't always make the perfect 100% safest choice for every situation in real everyday life.
You could leave your puppy in your fully fenced, latched, enclosed backyard and some criminal could get in and take your puppy. In the same way, you could leave your puppy in your fully locked up house and someone could break in and steal your puppy...

Then people could say, "Oh well I have one of those alarm systems that goes off if someone breaks in or opens the door without entering the passcode within 10 seconds. Oh, and also cameras to be extra sure they can see who did it. That's what they should have done... Obviously"

I personally have one of those alarm systems in my house. (No camera though! lol) That's a huge theft deterrent vs a house with no alarm where a thief could make a silent and unnoticed entry and exit. (Btw are you aware of how easy it is to learn to pick an average lock and deadbolt on YouTube? Just sayin'...) I could say oooo look at me, being way safer and better of a dog owner than those people who risk their dogs safety leaving their dog in a regular locked house! But that's just absolutely ridiculous. And really not of much use. That's pretty much the same thing as what some posters here are doing.

People who are criticizing this family for leaving the puppy in their yard are looking at it subjectively based on their standards of what they think is reasonable and safe. But honestly, the way I see it this family isn't anymore to blame than someone who had their dog stolen from their house. The odds are certainly greater that your dog will get stolen if you keep him outside vs inside. But then, the odds are also greater that your dog will get stolen if you keep him indoors loose in the house, vs in a nice, hefty, locked crate bolted to the floor. Lol you could go on forever...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 AM
Banned

Stolen gsd puppy, bc canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
leaving a pot of gold on your front step...you're inviting trouble. or gold pot. either way, lolol...

and isn't interpreting pro active as tempting criminals and/or victim blaming kind of a stretch?

if your dog got struck by lightening, most people would say, "oh, no what a terrible accident"...not a comparison of equivalents.

sunflowers gets the sense of humor award!!! ohmygosh, that is too funny!!!

Read several of your posts on this thread along with others.

I agree with you 1000 percent.

A child could be abducted. But a responsible parent would not leave it circulating around by itself in a highly dangerous area. Full stop.

A puppy, esp. Well bred gsd can be a high value target.

Driving tests for example are teaching something called 'defensive driving'. This means that you don't just drive to the rules of the road and focus on yourself. It means you 'expect' somebody to bugger up, and are aware and not oblivious that it may happen. The theory is everydody drives defensively, there are less accidents. Just because it's 'your right of way' does not mean you should be aggressive in cutting somebody's entry. Allow for error with fellow drivers. Sure he pays and is responsible for damage, or goes to prison for being under influence. But the result is you both go into hospital and are both risking your lives.

So as katlitz said obviously the criminal is to blame. But being responsible goes a long way.

I wonder how many of you would leave a smartphone in the mall, and expect 100 percent to find it later. Maybe you will maybe you won't.

Not an issue with an adult gsd. Certainly an issue with a puppy.

Now are you negligent if you leave it outside. No. But it is something to weary of. And it's not ideal. That is for sure.

Last edited by WesS; 05-29-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page