Stolen gsd puppy, bc canada - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
man i just fight that blame -vs- responsibility battle here at home every single hour of every single day, lolol...so i know i'm hypersensitive to it and thanks for understanding. Have a great holiday!
Ha! I get it, I definitely see where you are coming from! I have a few topics I am hypersensitive too as well one was talked about on this thread, but without going into an elaborate response and chatting in person, it ends up being a bloodbath so to speak. LOL.

Anywho, thanks! You too!!

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:31 PM

Its well known that most thieves are opportunistic predators. You can do things to the home to make it less inviting for thieves.

Like my neighbors had an attempted break in. We live at a dead end street, mine is the middle house. Its rural we both have around 40acres and both houses approximately in the middle of the acreage. Well set back from the road. I have a very long drive way and a locked gate at the end. I'm willing to bet the thief skipped my house because of the locked gate. Neighbors is a fairly nice house, they rent out their guest house and the tenant called the cops. The other neighbor is also locked gated.

Police release sketch of carjacking suspect - Abbotsford News

Its also proven that you can do little things to prevent being a victim of either a mugging or rape. Jog in crowded areas for instance.
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 06:45 PM
Elite Member

Zudnic: Like my neighbors had an attempted break in. We live at a dead end street, mine is the middle house. Its rural we both have around 40acres and both houses approximately in the middle of the acreage. Well set back from the road. I have a very long drive way and a locked gate at the end. I'm willing to bet the thief skipped my house because of the locked gate. Neighbors is a fairly nice house, they rent out their guest house and the tenant called the cops. The other neighbor is also locked gated.

Moriah: My neighbor and I were talking today and he noted that the only people not broken into on our street have either a bully breed or me with a GSD. Just like locked gates, thieves notice protective dogs. Some houses have been broken into more than once with small dogs. Interesting.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
Zudnic: Like my neighbors had an attempted break in. We live at a dead end street, mine is the middle house. Its rural we both have around 40acres and both houses approximately in the middle of the acreage. Well set back from the road. I have a very long drive way and a locked gate at the end. I'm willing to bet the thief skipped my house because of the locked gate. Neighbors is a fairly nice house, they rent out their guest house and the tenant called the cops. The other neighbor is also locked gated.

Moriah: My neighbor and I were talking today and he noted that the only people not broken into on our street have either a bully breed or me with a GSD. Just like locked gates, thieves notice protective dogs. Some houses have been broken into more than once with small dogs. Interesting.
Dogs do help if they are big. Can't see in my yard from the street. The gate is locked, not because of thieves.

The annoying thing about living in rurally is all the people who drive around looking at properties. Rural property is second to waterfront on dreamers lists. On a Saturday, I'll get up to 10 cars an hour, turn around at the end of my street. If the gate wasn't locked, they'd turn around at my house. Lost count of how many people have knocked on my door for directions back to the highway. Its annoying!

The dreamers got really bad a few months back when this got listed: Nickelback’s Chad Kroeger Lists Palatial Abbotsford Mansion | Pricey Pads All the news outlets here carried the story of the listing. Its about 2miles from my house. Still get tons of people looking for it!!! Some of these dreamers looky Loos could be thieves.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Crowned Member

If this puppy was stolen. Its very possible someone very close by to where they live has the puppy. I would emphasize the reward and that the puppy is in need of medication and her health is in great danger. Nobody who needs to steal a puppy would want to cough up huge expenses for vet bills and may opt out for the reward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 12:25 AM
Crowned Member

When something awful happens, the owner of the dog, if they are anything like myself, are already beating themselves over the head with all the should've, would've, could'ves. There will be plenty of guilt from themselves, I don't have to pour it on.

I blame the criminals for committing criminal acts, because that is who did the deed. No, I would not leave a young pup alone in a yard. I won't leave a young litter with the bitch out in my front yard, kenneled, when I am not there, for the most part, I want to be right out there with them.

Because it would be so easy for someone to drive up and open the gate and grab a puppy. Would that be my fault if they did? No, they are the criminal. But then again, I do not want to gamble with the lives of the puppies, because at the end of the day, were it to happen, then I would be blaming myself.

But, what do you do for the horses? Do you force them to live out their lives in a barn, because if you turn them out in the field when you are not there, some scumball might take a knife to them, or some stupid brat may open the gate and try to take a ride, letting the horse out, or even some jerk might steal the horse?

Do you drag your kids to the park until they are 18 because there might be a predator somewhere that will kidnap your kid? At some point you have to let your kids be more independent. At some point you have to let them walk to a store, or to a park. At some point you have to accept that you cannot control everything in the world around them.

If someone breaks into my yard and steals or injures or kills one of my dogs, that will be a criminal act. I just can't force critters to live inside a barn for life, or inside a house for life, because maybe someone out there is going to commit a criminal act.

I do remember the days when we did not lock car doors. And we would open a stranger's car door to shut off their lights if they left them on. And kids of 6 years and up were out of the house at 8AM and did not come home until the Catholic church bells rang at 6PM. We ate the free lunches at the public school all summer, and wore swimsuits under our clothes, and went swimming in the public pools with no parents in tow. We played at play grounds, rode the RTAs when we could come up with enough coins for bus fare and walked all over. We took ourselves to the zoo and so many other places. Nowadays, parents are arrested for letting their kids go to a park/shopping center across from their home on their own.

Unfortunately, bad things do happen to kids. But the vast majority of that comes from people the kids know and trust. Stranger danger may be real, but it is not so real that we should lock our children away until they are adults.

Leaving pets outside is something people have to run a risk analysis on. In some places, it is plain too risky. In other places it is probably not as bad as all that.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

"And I refuse to allow someone to tell me I am partially to blame for a criminals actions. "
Absolutely. It is just annoying as anything to get this message. (And when the argument focussed on women, the rebuttal was that men did not get blamed if their wallets were stolen. But it equally disgusting to have them blamed if their wallet is stolen.) If I leave a pound of gold on my front step, it is my pound of gold, not someone else's to take.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 PM

We should ultimately blame the criminals. But there is some things we can do to make it so we are not easy victims. Sometimes peoples problems are their own making.
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

The biggest difference from living in Cleveland, Ohio as a kid, and living in Jefferson, Ohio as a kid was in Cleveland, you got your bike stolen and in Jefferson, if someone stole your bike, then someone stole your bike.

It is a huge difference really. Out here, you can ride your bicycle to a store and leave it out front without a lock, go in do your shopping and expect your bike to be there when you come out.

If it isn't, you can call the cops, and they will come.

And they will investigate your stolen bike.

And they will catch the thief.

And the thief will be prosecuted.

And if you are riding a bicycle down the street at 2AM, with another bicycle slung across your shoulder, you will be stopped by the police (ask me how I know this).

And if you are driving home with bikes on the back of your vehicle and bikes have been stolen recently, they will stop you and look at the bikes.

The reason I mention all of this, is because depending on where you live, even 50 miles away from another place, there is a very different mindset. We are never going to agree on this topic because we are coming from different places.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Crowned Member

But the topic isn't whether theft is right or wrong or who is to "blame".

The topic is how to ensure, to the very best of our ability, the safety of our animals.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page