Stolen gsd puppy, bc canada - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:31 PM
Banned

My comments have absolutely nothing to do with rape.
I refuse to even debate this with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:10 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, in a perfect world, no one would steal anything. People shouldn't steal. So?

Thievery has been going on since before caveman times. Make it easier for them, and you will get ripped off. Leave your iPhone on your car seat with the door unlocked or the window open, and you can get ripped off.

Most stealing is done as a crime of opportunity.

This isn't about blaming the victim, it's about natural consequences.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:17 AM
Crowned Member

I remember back in the day when doors could be unlocked, bikes could be left out and car doors left open without an issue. People looked out for each other and neighborhoods were a bunch of families that United as one big family. Those were the days when crack and heroin weren't an issue, it was easier to get a job and people actually respected other people. Parents actually parented together and looked out for all the kids, not only there own. Moms cooked 3 meals a day and hung the laundry out to dry. Kids were disciplined and parents weren't afraid of their kids..

I miss those days

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 12:24 AM
Crowned Member

those who misinterpret things a certain way or are particularly sensitive to certain issues usually have a personal reason and I try to take that into consideration. but the comparison to the short skirt thing and violence toward women is quite a stretch and pretty inappropriate.

the people who are saying that it's not about blaming but only about consequences only want to help people understand that they have to be really careful. any interpretation along the lines of "victim blaming" is coming from individual perception and not from the original intent of those who are saying be really careful.

and man, I miss those days too. but (sigh), they're gone. and we have to adjust our thinking and expectations. and we have to be REALLY CAREFUL.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 03:34 AM
Crowned Member

I think the point being that you should not have to worry about leaving your pet outside in the yard in a secure fence. To me, that person took the necessary precaustions. The gate was shut and locked and the other person broke in to steal the poor dog.

As to comparing it to any crime.. GSDSAR does make a valid point. People only want their opinons to apply to certain things but when the same concept is applied to much bigger argument, all of a sudden it's not what they meant and someone is being ridiculous.

I had my whole life stolen out of my car one early morning, I left my purse in the car in my locked garage.. my roommate left the garage open and someone decided to help themselves. I should have left it in there, but guess what, the cops didn't blame me for it, they took fingerprints and wrote up a report.

In the same respect.. there is some personal responsibility to be had, regardless with any crime. NOT that is make the criminal any less guilty or liable, but that there are certainly things we can do to lessen ourselves as a target. I do believe that after the fact, when a crime is committed, in this case, the dog being stolen, you are no longer allowed to look at the could have, should have's. At that point you need to take it for what it is, a crime and go from there. The other comments are just things that might have helped prevent it but it is in no way the owner's FAULT.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:28 AM
Crowned Member

definitely not the owner's fault (which i won't capitalize again, cause that point has already been made multiple times), but a hard and painful lesson to learn about "what is" -vs- what "should be" What you should have to do -vs- what you might want to do to prevent pain and loss are two very different things.

Any police officer will tell you that prevention is the name of the game.

WYoung, I'm curious...when your purse was stolen did you feel your roommate was responsible for being negligent? I'm not asking if you "blamed" your roommate. But did you feel they were responsible in any way for creating the situation which allowed the theft to take place? Like, you left the garage locked and they were careless and left the door open?

mom to the cashman
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
So if I wear a short skirt and it's tempting to somebody? That's my fault?

You said the victim was "inviting a disaster". That in itself, places some of the blame of the crime on the victim.

Yes I took it that extra step. Took where most people don't like to go.

Do I believe there are things we can do to protect ourselves. Sure do. I practice them a lot. But if I forget to lock to my door, and some creep criminal breaks in, I refuse to accept blame for another's actions. And I refuse to allow someone to tell me I am partially to blame for a criminals actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
definitely not the owner's fault (which i won't capitalize again, cause that point has already been made multiple times), but a hard and painful lesson to learn about "what is" -vs- what "should be" What you should have to do -vs- what you might want to do to prevent pain and loss are two very different things.

Any police officer will tell you that prevention is the name of the game.

WYoung, I'm curious...when your purse was stolen did you feel your roommate was responsible for being negligent? I'm not asking if you "blamed" your roommate. But did you feel they were responsible in any way for creating the situation which allowed the theft to take place? Like, you left the garage locked and they were careless and left the door open?
Totally agree with you on the prevention thing. I think people just tend to continue to blame (not you) a victim for not doing A, B, C and D after the fact. The way I see it, it's a lesson learned for the victim in prevention, of any crime, but from that point forward, no more should be focused on what could have been done to prevent the crime.. does that makes sense?

I am all for seeing holes in where things could have been tightened or done differently, especially when nothing has occured yet. In this instance "Hey, jane doe, I see you leave your dog out a lot, I think you should consider that people may steal her and keep her safe inside." vs the latter, where people jump on this "well, that's why you shouldn't leave them out there," after the event occured.

As for my purse, after about a day when I was thinking about everything.. I was a little peeved that she did it because I had told her to make sure she shut it when she left.. but knowing she was a VERY forgetful person, I actually didn't "blame" her really. To be honest, I was pissed that I left my dang purse in an unlocked car. Used to do it a lot because the garage was always locked.. and that was the response I got from everyone "well shouldn't have done that!" Only the cops and a few family members went "man that stinks. Lesson learned, what a jerk for doing that" or something to that extent. I was wouldn't say I blamed anyone other than the person that did it, but I definitely know that I could have helped in prevented the purse stealing by simply bringing in my purse. That being said... coming to my house into my garage was diliberate. I had a very long drive way and you had to be intentional to decide to go up it... you didn't just happen to see a car and go "oh let's see if it's open since I'm already taking Fifi for a walk." So there's that too. I also am a little perturbed that I didn't listen to Titan. He tried to wake me up, and I told him to lay down. He NEVER tries to wake me up.. he did as told and I KNOW he heard something. Not that it would have done me much good. I would have been blindsided by someone robbing my car.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Crowned Member

WYoung, it's frustrating to me that people seem to ALWAYS substitute the word "blame" for taking responsibility. I said responsible twice (about your roommate), and yet you substituted the word "blame" again. I have a personal situation in my relationship where someone consistently feels "blamed" and gets defensive, where I'm only trying to get him to accept responsibility for his actions and the consequences, so I am likely overly sensitive to that situation, lolol. I'm a big fan of being pro-active.

mom to the cashman
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
WYoung, it's frustrating to me that people seem to ALWAYS substitute the word "blame" for taking responsibility. I said responsible twice (about your roommate), and yet you substituted the word "blame" again. I have a personal situation in my relationship where someone consistently feels "blamed" and gets defensive, where I'm only trying to get him to accept responsibility for his actions and the consequences, so I am likely overly sensitive to that situation, lolol. I'm a big fan of being pro-active.
My apologies, honestly. I am not even offended. Blame just seems to be the most common word. Please feel free to substitute the word "responsibility" for any of that.

I see what you're saying as far as blame vs responsibility... I don't think blame should be put on victims but at the same time they need to take responsibility for the things that were in their control.

I'll do my best not to get into bigger crimes that were previously talked about in this thread, because as a female I have an opinion that not many agree with.

v/r,

Whitney
and
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Crowned Member

man i just fight that blame -vs- responsibility battle here at home every single hour of every single day, lolol...so i know i'm hypersensitive to it and thanks for understanding. Have a great holiday!

mom to the cashman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page